I did

"I did," A voice says, and I freeze. I can recognise that voice anywhere in a crowd.

"I did," Adora repeats.

I stay frozen and don't turn back to look at her. I can't turn back to look at her. If I do, I will break down.

"Adora, is it true?" Ace questions.

There is silence, and I want her to laugh and say this is all a prank. She is doing this to prank me for her birthday. If she says yes, I will break down.

"Yes,"

That was the last straw, and the tears gathered in my eyes, enough to make everything blurry, start falling one by one, allowing me to see better.

"Can't you lie and say that you didn't do it? Please?" I beg.

"I did. The truth will not change," Adora replies, her voice breaking.

"Adora. How could you?" Ace whispers.

"Will you at least tell me why?" I question, finally turning to her but still keeping my eyes down.

"Love makes you do stupid things," Adora laughs, pain evident behind them.

"What are you blabbering about?" Blue intervenes.

"I was in love, okay?"

"Love?" Ace questions.

"Yes. Love. I was in love with August," She starts, and I move my eyes upwards to look at her.

"I was in love with August for six years. He never spared me a look because he was smitten by your stupid face," Adora scoffs, her voice full of spite.

"I had to separate you from each other and make you hate him. I thought he would crumble and come to me for comfort, and I could make him mine,"

"I didn't expect him to run away," Adora says, pulling her hair.

"AHHHH," She screams, grabbing her hair tightly.

"You comforted me so many times, saying, 'August is a terrible person, and I should just move on'. You did not do it for me. You did it for yourself," I say, coming to terms with what is happening.

"How could you do this to me?" I ask, more tears falling.

"It was so hard to keep on loving him, Alex. I tried to move on, but I couldn't. Seeing him so happy with you, knowing I was just someone who could admire him from afar, tore me apart,"

"I would wake up every day and realise I can never have him. It was torture. It was killing me, Alex. I wanted to kill myself,"

"Nathan found out about the pictures. He was working in the cafe when I was talking with Vivian. I didn't pay any heed to him. But that day at the party, he recognised me and told me it was better to come clean about it. I lied to him saying, I already told you, and that we are fine,"

"But that day, at your birthday, you were laughing and talking," I say, confused.

"He liked you, so he was so happy when you went and talked to him about the surprise. I said I would set him up with you when I talked with him during my birthday party, and he got all happy and started smiling and laughing," She scoffs.

"How could you do this to me? I trusted you with my whole heart," I say, glaring at her through my tears.

"It was easier to take it out on you. I found it easier to lose you than lose him,"

"But now you lost both of us," Blue laughs, mocking her.

"I know. So, I thought I would move away from home and cut all contact with you after graduation,"

"You were going to run away? After all the pain you caused them? Me?" Ace asks, his voice shaking.

Adora remains silent.

"Did you ever consider me your best friend?" I question, dreading the answer.

"You think this was easy for me? I loved you so much. You were my everything,"

"You're the last person I would have thought could betray me," I confess.

"I'm sorry, but I had to," I have had enough. I can't go through this again. I can't lose another person.

"Leave, Adora, before I punch you," I say, my voice cold.

She glances one last time at Blue and leaves, tears streaming down her face.

"Alex, unclench your fists," Carter instructs.

I look at my hands and see blood dripping down. I slowly unclench my fists and find the nail marks that have gone deep enough to make me bleed.

"Punch me, please," Ace pleads.

"Relive some of the anger you have on my sister on me,"

"You must be hurting too," I say, looking at his face.

"I am, so punch me. It would make me feel better. I know you want to punch something now. That is how you release your emotions,"

I don't wait for another second and gut him in the stomach. He doesn't block my attack, even though he could have. He falls, holding his stomach.

"Fight me," Carter says.

I don't hold back and go full force because I know Carter can handle it. I try punching the left side of his face using my right hand, but he blocks it with his left hand, takes hold of my extended right hand with his right hand, and lands a hit to my stomach using his knee.

I move back from the impact and extend my left leg to kick him on his side, but before landing the hit, I quickly move my leg down and kick him hard enough to make him lose his balance.

Carter stumbles but does not lose his balance. I take this moment of weakness as an opportunity and quickly use the side of my palms to land a solid hit to his ribs. Hard enough to form a bruise but not hard enough to break them.

For the finishing blow, I use my elbow to hit Carter on his stomach, but Blue steps in before I land the blow and takes the hit instead.

"Enough," Blue coughs.

"I know you are high on your emotions, but don't kill him," It takes me a moment to realise what is going on, and I immediately halt.

"Carter, are you okay," I gasp.

"I am fine. Check on Ace," He mumbles.

I find Ace sitting on the bench, his head on his knee, his shoulder silently shaking.

"Hey, you okay?" I ask as I sit beside him.

"I am sorry. Don't hate her," Ace pleads, his voice barely audible.

I sit silent because I don't know what to answer. Instead, I pull him into a hug and let him cry on my shoulder.

Seeing him cry so hard, I finally let loose and cry my pain away. That is the only thing I can do now.

              ____________________

Hey guys. What do you think about this chapter? From one point of view, I can understand Adora, but being betrayed by  your best friend is another kind of pain altogether. The next few chapters is going to be interesting. Hint: You get to finally meet the mystery letter boy. Vote and leave a comment. Jesus loves you.

Love 😍
Author