Chapter 2

The next few days are filled with busy errands and romantic nights. Putting down a few riots here, attending some important meetings there... It can all be exhausting. After a full day's work, Zilla and I are strolling through the gardens. The peaceful spring breeze blows and ruffles our hair. The air is rich and smells of rose petals. As we stroll, Zilla and I make small talk. Talking about how our past year has been. How the happiest year of my life has been.

"U-um, your majesties...?"

Zilla and I turn to see a little red-headed maid cautiously walk up to us. She fixes her glasses and looks at us with her pale blue-grey eyes. "I- I- I'm sorry for interrupting your walk, your majesties. U-um L-Lily sent me to uh- ask w-what you would want for um- breakfast...?"

I smile at Abigal. We had found her in an abusive home in Rosewood, and Zilla and I took her in. After a while, she decided to become a maid in the castle. Lily has been doing a great job caring for her. "I think we would like..." I turn towards Zilla, "Pancakes and eggs?" Zilla nods, and I look back at Abigal. She bows, "I'm sorry again for interrupt-"

I place a gentle hand on her should, "There is no need to apologize. You did nothing wrong."

Abigal nods before bowing again and running off.

"Poor kid," Zilla sighs. I nod, and we continue on with our walk.

We continue onto one of my favorite sections of the garden. The maze. The healthy green leaves glisten in the moonlight. As the stars appear in the sky, we stroll through the hedges. "Do you remember about a year ago?" Zilla says as we walk.

I nod, "Yeah. When we were chasing each other correct?"

"And you fell on top of me."

"Correction, you MADE me fall on top of you."

"Same thing."

I glare at Zilla, and she laughs.

I sigh, "It's so weird to think back. I wouldn't have thought I would be free and Queen a year from then."

Zilla smiles at me, "Neither would I. But here we are. The time in captivity was worth it."

At the mention of her capture, I feel the energy around Zilla shift, but just for a moment.

The way she was treated was awful. Charlette did her best, however, there was only so much she could do while sneaking around the guards. When the guards were bored, they would go into her cell and torment her. They beat her, cut her, anything to cause her pain. She hid the scars from me for a while. I only found out a few months after the fact. I remember lightly tracing the line of her scars with my finger. The feeling of pure horror filling my body as I imagine what she must have gone through. Those were my guards. Even if I couldn't control them. That was my kingdom.

Zilla insists it's not my fault. But I can't help but feel awful. Because of me, my love got seriously hurt. I still try to make up for it to this day.

We eventually make it to the maze center. The fountain sparkles in the starlight. We sit on the ledge of the fountain and continue talking. Suddenly Zilla grabs my hand, "What's wrong my love?"

I look at Zilla startled and confused.

"I can tell something is wrong. I know you too well."

"I- I guess flashbacks. I was just thinking about what I went through with my father. Then what you went through."

Zilla sighs, "You still believe it's your fault..."

"Well... yeah..."

Zilla holds my cheek and leans in close, "Listen to me. The actions of those guards and your father were. Not. your. Fault."

I look at Zilla but then quickly look away into the water.

I open my mouth to speak but before I can Zilla pulls me in and kisses me. When she pulls away she says, "I won't take anything not accepting that fact as an answer."

I open my mouth to argue but again Zilla kisses me instead.

When she pulls away again, she gives me an I'm gonna fucking win this one look. Knowing what game she's playing, this time I stay silent. Giving her a wanna bet? Look.

Zilla smirks then suddenly starts kissing me.

When we pull apart Zilla puts her thumb on my bottom lip. "Sooooo... what do you say."

I smirk, "That it's my fault."

And before Zilla can say or do anything I get up and run.