Chapter 10

Ivy's View

"Well look who mellowed out." Ugene walks through the gate with a bag as I lay on the ground in a puddle of blood. I slowly began pretending to be less and less combative, but Victor has not let up. Ugene kneels in front of me, "I have a gift for you," Ugene pulls some bread and water out of the bag. I quickly sit up, down the water, and start eating the food. Victor scowls in the corner. Ugene sits down in front of me, "It hurts me to see our princess like this but I hope you'll understand once you're cured." I ignore him and continue eating. He continues, "As long as you continue to improve you'll get more food and water. And you'll earn more privileges." I internally cringe as his words pierce my ears. Cause it's a privilege to not be a prisoner. I finish the bread and lay back down a few inches from the wall. Ugene sighs and stands up, "Victor. You're doing a great job but be careful. I can see she's lost a lot of blood. If you kill her, you will meet the same fate as Zilla." Victor snarls, "I understand Ugene." Ugene nods to Victor, glances at me, then leaves the basement.

Victor remains in the basement. I feel his glare pierce my flesh as I try to ignore his presence. He walks over to me and stands a few feet away from my head. He stares at me for a few seconds before kicking my head hard. I practically fly into the wall behind me as my head pounds and spins. I instinctively try to stand up but Victor kicks my arms out from under me causing my head to slam into the ground. I lay on the ground barely conscious. Without a word, he leaves the basement leaving me alone to pass out on the cold dungeon floor.

"Hey," I jolt awake to Victor standing over me, "Wakey Wakey Princess." My eyesight is blurring and my head is pounding. I push myself so I sit up against the wall despite the room spinning as I do so. "Since apparently, Ugene doesn't like how much blood you're losing I'll lay off the knives for today."

I don't know If I should be relieved or worried about that....

He walks toward me and I close my eyes bracing for pain. However, to my surprise, I feel him grab my wrist, "Stand up." I open my eyes and slowly get to my feet. I stumble and almost fall forward but Victor shoves me into the wall. Gee, thanks. He walks away to his chest of horrors and starts digging through it. While his back is turned I hold my head trying to control the pounding and spinning. I hear the sounds of digging stop as I slowly raise my head. Victor is walking back toward me with a small box in his hand. I try to focus my blurry vision so I can identify the box. Finally, it hits me.

Matches...

I take a deep breath, this is gonna hurt like a bitch. Finally, Victor stops about a foot in front of me, "I haven't tried this form of treatment before, so let's see how effective this is." His lips curl into a crooked smile as he takes out a match. I attempt to mentally prepare myself as he lights the match. He holds the match up about three inches from my face and slowly brings it toward me. I resist the urge to pull away as the flame comes closer and closer to my cut cheek. I feel the pain quickly rise in my face and finally I close my eyes right before Victor shoves the flame into my cheek, right above a cut. I yell out in pain and my eyes snap open. Victor pulls back the used match still smiling, "Burns hot huh? Quick and painful." I struggle to control my urge to fight back. I start my usual torcher routine. I bring myself out of the current moment and start by repeating the same phrase in my head, Live for Zilla. Live for Zilla. Live for Zilla. Live for Zilla. Live for Zilla. Live for Zilla. Live for Zilla. Live for Zilla. Pretend for Zilla. Live for Zilla. Live for Zilla.

Live for Zilla.

Live for Zilla.

Victor continues to light matches and drag them across patches of my skin. He puts them out on my body and even sets my hair on fire and lets me struggle to put it out while chained. I hear his laughs through my dissociation. I spend my time in memories with Zilla. Nighttime walks through the maze. Making out by the fountain. Even reading together in the library and riding horses through the woods. Live for Zilla. Live for Zilla. Pretend for Zilla. Live for Zilla. I remember all the happy moments. The times of triumph, the victories. We rule a kingdom that used to be two. We rule it together. And we will continue to do so.

Soon enough 7 or 8 boxes are scattered on the dungeon floor. Victor sighs, "I guess I'll give you a little break." He backs up as I pull myself out of my dream world. I internally cringe as I plan my next moves. I make my voice soft and weak as I squeak out two words, "Thank you..."

Victor snaps his head up to look at me with a bewildered look on his face. I lower my gaze and slowly lower myself to the floor. Victor stands there stunned for another few seconds before he quickly leaves the room. As soon as the door shuts and locks I start assessing the damage. My skin is red and some points have already blistered. Whenever the worst patches brush against anything I feel extreme pain. I put my back against the wall and softly hit my head against it a few times. Suddenly I start laughing quietly, yet again I am waiting for Zilla to come save me. I continue laughing as I feel a sense of deja-vu wash over me. It's almost... comforting? Maybe that's not the right word. My laughing slows to soft chuckles as I lean against the wall.

I'll be able to rip all their heads off soon.