13- Sanemi and Genya

I wanted to become a Hashira so my older brother would acknowledge me. And I also wanted to apologise for everything I told you on that day.

--- in Genya's past ---

"Mom's sure late, isn't she?" Genya says as he looks up at the roof of his home.

"Genya, you can't sleep?" Sanemi asks as he looks at Genya.

"Well, neither can you, Sanemi" Genya says as he looks at Sanemi.

"I'm gonna go look for Mom" Sanemi says as he gets up.

"Oh, I'll go with you" Genya says as he pulls back his sheets.

"No, I'll go" Sanemi says as he holds his hand up, "I want you to stay at home. We promised, remember?".

"Okay" Genya says happily.

"Alright, I'm counting on you" Sanemi says as he leaves the house.

"Ni-chan!" his siblings say as they all start to wake up.

"You were all awake, we you?" Genya says as he picks up the youngest, holding him in his arms.

"Mum sure is late, isn't she?" one of his little sisters says as she looks out of the window, "do you think she's okay?".

"She's fine, alright?" Genya says as he reassures her, "big brother went to look for her".

"But she's never been this late before" his oldest younger brother says as he looks at the moon in the sky, "the sun will be coming up soon".

"It's okay" Genya says with a smile, "you must be tired. Go to sleep, alright? When you wake up, Mum and Big Brother will both be back".

There is a sudden singular bang on the door as his little siblings get excited.

"Mum's back!" they say as they run towards the door.

"Hold on. It might not be Mum!" Genya says as the glass on the door flies into the room, cutting everyone, striking Genya's face as something runs into the room.

Something just came into the room. Is it a beast? Maybe a wolf? A stray dog? No, it's a wolf!

Genya says as the being drops to the ground, launching itself at him, just as Sanemi runs into the house.

"Genya, run!" Sanemi yells as he grabs the beast, running outside with it.

"Big Brother!" Genya says as he looks around the room, realising all of his brothers and sisters are dead, also realising his youngest brother took the blow which protecting him from being killed, "wait here. Put pressure on your wounds. I'll go get the Doctor!".

Genya runs out of the house and up the hill towards where the Doctor's home is when he sees Sanemi standing over their Mother's dead body at the top of the hill.

"Mom!" Genya yells as he runs over, kneeling down as he takes his Mother into his arms, "Big Brother, why would you kill our Mom? Why? Why'd you do it? Why'd you kill our Mother? You murderer! You murderer!".

Their Mother disintegrates before their eyes as Genya is left there sobbing. Sanemi takes a deep breath in as he grabs Genya, pulling him away as Genya hits him.

"Let go of me! I said let go! Where are we going? What about our siblings?" Genya asks as he cries.

"They're dead, Genya!" Sanemi yells angrily, "our Mom killed them and I don't know why but I had to stop her before she killed me and you, too. I'm going to come back for our siblings but I need to know you're safe first".

Sanemi and Genya make it to a small hostel where an old woman brings them in. Sanemi returns home and takes care of their siblings, burying them in the field where they used to play, making a grave for their Mom as well. He returns to the hostel where he sees a woman sitting with Genya.

"Who are you?" Sanemi asks as he walks over.

"My name is Sakura. The old woman who runs this place told me of you and your brother's story. If you let me help you, I can look after you, make sure you're well fed. All I ask from you in return is you allow me to train you to be stronger" Sakura explains as she looks at Sanemi, "Genya-kun here has already agreed to it".

"All you want is to train us?" Sanemi asks curiously.

"That's all. I want you to be able to defeat the demons that hurt your Mother and your siblings. Let me do that for you. I'll help you get your revenge" Sakura says with a small smile.

"Deal" Sanemi says with a nod, "just make sure it hurts".

--- present day ---

Sorry, Big Brother. I'm going to die without getting a chance to say I'm sorry. And the memories of you smiling at me will be the last thing I see. I had no talent, Big Brother. I can't use breathing techniques and I'll never become a Hashira. Unless I become a Hashira, I can never meet the other Hashira. I gave it my all but it was beyond me. You've always said that a slowpoke like me is no brother of yours. And I know you were just saying that because you don't want me to be a demon slayer, never mind a Hashira. But it still hurts. I am your brother.

"Genya! Don't give up!" Tanjiro yells as he runs towards Genya and Sekido, cutting Sekido, "go after it again! Slash it again! Whatever you do, don't give up! This time, you'll make it! I'll protect you, alright?" he says as he lands, "don't think about anything else but beheading it! Aren't you going to become a Hashira, Genya Shinazugawa?".

"Tanjiro!" Genya yells as Aizetsu comes through the trees.

Oh no! Behind me!

Tanjiro says as he turns around.

"Weeping Spears" Aizetsu says as he thrusts his spear towards Tanjiro.

This is bad. I'm hit. Squarely!

Tanjiro says as he hits the ground, realising he's not hurt. He turns around and sees Genya standing in front of him, holes all over his body.

"Genya!" Tanjiro yells worriedly.

"Go!" Genya says, his voice shaking, "I can't behead it! You be the one to do it! Just this once, I'm going to let you have it!".

Tanjiro nods as he gets up, running after the small demon.

"I'll do it" Tanjiro says confidently, "no matter what!" he says as he spots the demon, "there it is! It's tiny! You're not getting away!" he says as he runs out in front of it, raising his sword.

A/N

Sorry for the really slow update. I've just been having a bit of a writer's block period at the moment and I've not been too inspired to write. This happens sometimes when I get to the middle of the OC stories. But hopefully, my inspiration will start to come back and updates will become more frequent again! Thanks for supporting my story! -E