17- Chosen Ones

Muichiro gasps as he looks up, a mark appearing on his cheek as he stands up quickly.

Mist Breathing, Fourth Form, Shifting Flow Slash!

Muichiro says as he throws his arm out to the side, running at the fish as he cuts them all, grabbing Kotetsu, holding him in his arms.

"Kotetsu-kun" Muichiro says as Kotetsu coughs.

"Tokito-san, don't worry about me" Kotetsu says as he looks at Muichiro, "save Haganezuka-san and Kanamori-san! Protect the swords!".

"Right" Muichiro says as he looks over at the shed.

Damn him! Damn him! This man! This human! He still won't stop honing after all I've done to him! Even when I destroyed his eye, he kept honing without so much as crying out! I know! If I tell him I'm going to kill that man over there-

Gyokko says as he looks over at Kanamori, only for Muichiro to swing his sword at Gyokko. Gyokko dips down into his pot and moves away from Muichiro as Muichiro stands in the doorway.

He escaped the water prison pot! How on Earth? I have no idea! I thought his death was imminent, so my mind wasn't on him at all! No, wait a second. On the other hand, that shows how focused I was! Yes! Hmm? Hold on, hold on, hold on! What is that mark? According to the information Lord Muzan gave us, that child with the earrings also has a similar mark! No! Never mind that! How can you stand there looking so nonchalant? My attack should have paralysed your body! How were you even able to gather greater speed to wound me?

Gyokko asks as Muichiro throws himself at Muichiro.

"Octopus Vase Hell!" Gyokko says as he holds a pot out, large tentacles coming out, wrecking the place.

"Lord Tokito!" Kanamori says as he grabs something, the tentacle grabbing him.

The shed collapses as Haganezuka is thrown out.

"Hyo, hyo! How do you like how springy this octopus flesh is?" Haganezuka asks proudly, "surely, you can't slash this!".

Haganezuka gets up, looking around as he spots the sword and the thing he was working with as he grabs them both, getting back to work.

Still honing that sword? Is he a fool? He's not in his right mind. But that's sublime in its own way. That swordsmith can wait. First, the Hashira.

Gyokko says as he squeezes Kanamori with the tentacle.

"I wasn't really trying earlier!" Gyokko says as he looks at Muichiro, "this time, I'm going to crush him for sure, then absorb him!" he says as Muichiro slices the tentacle, "hyo?".

"You made this sword for me" Muichiro says as he and Kanamori land on the ground, "thank you, Kanamori-san".

"No" Kanamori says as he gets up, "all I did was follow the instructions of your first swordsmith!".

"That's right" Muichiro says as he flourishes his sword, "it was Tetsuido-san who forged my first sword for me. He passed away from heart disease".

No matter how many times you replace that sword, it won't change a thing!

Gyokko says as he looks at Muichiro.

Ah, it fits like a glove.

Muichiro says as he rests the flat edge of the sword on his shoulder.

--- when Muichiro met his swordsmith for the first time ---

"Muichiro, I would like you to meet your swordsmith, Tetsuido-san. He will be making all of your sword for you from now on. He also knows of your situation" Sakura says as she gestures to Tetsuido.

"I worry about you, boy" Tetsuido says as he sits on a rock in front of Muichiro, "who will ever understand what you've been through? How you have no time for anything else? How you're barely getting by and have no breathing room? How anxious you are because you can't remember anything? And how you strive so hard that you vomit blood? Who will ever understand all of that? Whenever I'll see the swords you've used, it'll bring tears to my eyes. I won't be around much longer. Not that I want to cling onto life at my age, but I won't be able to stop worrying about you".

Tetsuido-san. I'm sorry. I know I made you worry. But I'm alright now.

Muichiro says as he runs at Gyokko.

"Mist Breathing, Fifth Form, Seas of Clouds and Haze!" Muichiro says as he cuts the tentacles, ruining Gyokko's attack.

He swings his sword at Gyokko's neck but Gyokko moves to another pot.

"Well, that was some rapid fire chopping" Gyokko says from the trees, "but you don't seem to able to keep up with how quickly I craft my pots".

"Are you sure about that?" Muichiro asks as he looks at Gyokko.

"What?" Gyokko says as he raises a brow.

"It looks like your senses have totally dulled" Muichiro says as the mist clears from behind him, "it's because you've lived for hundreds of years. Then again, Sakura-san's lived for over 400 years yet her senses show no signs of dulling. But then again, she's an upper moon one and you're just number five, aren't you?" he says as Gyokko's neck slices open, "I'm going to slash you next time. I have better things to do than play your vase games all day".

"Don't underestimate me, you brat" Gyokko says as he appears behind Muichiro.

Gyokko uses the same water attack as Muichiro backs off, kicking off a tree as he throws himself at Gyokko, managing to get rid of the attack.

Muichiro, sorry I couldn't be more gentle with you. I could just never afford to be that way. Being kind to others is one more thing that only the chosen ones can do. But Muichiro, no matter how virtuous a life you may lead, neither the Gods nor Buddha will protect you in the end. That's why I thought I had to protect you. Muichiro, you're not like me. For the sake of someone other than yourself, you can exert infinite strength. You're one of the chosen ones!