15- Behind The Mask

"Hyo, hyo, hyo! That look of fake stoicism, how very sublime it is!" Gyokko says as he watches Muichiro from outside the water pot, "my creative juices are simply gushing. Not that I wouldn't love to stay and watch you die in there a bit longer but first, I'll be taking a look inside this shack. Now, what on Earth could they be protecting so fiercely in here? Hyo, hyo, hyo!" he says as he disappears back into his pot.

With the air left in my lungs, I can manage just one more attack! Mist Breathing, First Form, Low Clouds Distant Haze!

He shouts as he thrusts his sword towards the edge of the pot, only for it to have no effect.

I can't break through even with this thrust attack. It's no wonder, given how badly this sword is chipped. It's futile. It's over. Master, Sakura-san, I'm going to die. So please send at least two more Hashira here.

Muichiro says as he shuts his eyes.

"What makes you say that?" Muichiro hears a voice say as he opens his eyes, seeing a vision of Tanjiro stood outside of the water pot, "what makes you think that? Nobody knows what the future holds".

What's that? No, wait. Tanjiro never said those words to me. So who did say it?

Muichiro wonders.

"No, you don't!" Kanamori says as he stands between Gyokko and Haganezuka, "I won't let you inside".

"Hyo, hyo!" Gyokko says entertained, "why do you even bother? Could it be that you actually think you can fend me off by some miracle? Hyo, hyo, hyo! Well, that's comical!" he says as he uses his blood demon art to create slashes of water which cut Kanamori, "what good will it do to frantically defend this sorry shack? The village chief wouldn't be here, right? Hmm?" he says as he spots Haganezuka crouched down at the back of the shed, "hmm?".

"Extraordinary steel" Haganezuka says as he continues to work on Tanjiro's new sword, "what an extraordinary sword!".

That human is young. The body of someone not yet forty. Surely he's not the chief.

Gyokko says as he looks past Kanamori.

"Such brilliant craftsmanship" Haganezuka says as he appears to be in own world, "it's stunning!".

"Hmm, hey, you human there!" Gyokko says as he addresses Haganezuka.

"Who is the creator?" Haganezuka asks as he ignores Gyokko, "by what kind of person was this sword forged? Why did they carve this single character rather than their own name? No! I understand! I understand why!".

Damn him! What kind of focus is that? He's so immersed that he's unaware of me! I- I don't like this! Even I've never concentrated this hard. As an artist, I feel inferior!

Gyokko says as he uses the same attack again, hitting Haganezuka, not even distracting him a bit.

"No, please! Haganezuka-san!" Kanamori says as he tries to cover Haganezuka from the next attack.

Haganezuka's mask falls off, not even making him falter as he continues with his work.

That man still refuses to stop.

Gyokko says angrily.

"The reason why he didn't carve his name into such an incredible sword, this single character!" Haganezuka says calmly, "this sword was forged with nothing but single minded determination! This sword was forged for this sole purpose and nothing else!".

I don't like this. It would be like child's play to kill him but I want to somehow make this man abandon that sword. I want to shatter his concentration!

Gyokko says as his whole body shakes with rage. Muichiro continues to hang onto the last piece of hope he has for life.

My vision is getting distorted. I'm dying. I'm out of air.

Muichiro says as he sees Tanjiro again.

"You can't decide for yourself when it's all over" Tanjiro says as he comes closer to Muichiro.

You never told me that.

Muichiro says.

"I promise you, it will be alright. Don't give up. Someone will save you for sure" Tanjiro says confidently.

Come on. So, I have to leave it to someone else? That's the worst thing I could do.

Muichiro says.

"This is all about anyone can do on there own" Tanjiro says, trying to reason with Muichiro, "that's why people join forces and work together".

There's no one who can save me because everyone's weaker than I am. I'm the one who should have been stronger. But I misjudged myself. I overestimated my own skills subconsciously because I'm a Hashira.

Muichiro says.

"You're not wrong, Muichiro" Tanjiro says with a small smile, "you'll be fine".

I'm going to die because I made more than one mistake.

Muichiro says as he sees the blade of a knife doing it's best to cut through the water of the pot.

"Tokito-san!" Kotetsu says as he tries his best to cut through the water, "I won't let you die! Tokito-san, hang in there! I'll get you out, no matter what! I'm going to save you! Crap! What is this? It's all rubbery and disgusting!".

If even I can't slash through it, how can you? You have bigger priorities than me right now. Protect the chief or at least find Sakura-san. She'll be able to cut through this. Oh, that would be beyond you. At least make a run for it with as many swords as you can carry.

Muichiro says as he sees some small fish from blood demon art

What are you doing? Behind you! Look out! Behind you!

Muichiro says as the demon attacks Kotetsu.

"Blood!" Kotetsu says worriedly.

What are you doing? What are you doing? Just run! Hurry the hell up!

Muichiro says as Kotetsu is stabbed in the stomach.

His solar plexus. He got stabbed in a vital point. He's going to die. You're not strong enough! Why don't you get it? Put pressure on that wound! Get the hell out of here! Stay away from me! Don't try to save me! There's nothing you can do!

Muichiro says as Kotetsu stumbles over to him. He puts his hand on the water as he breathes in, blowing air into the water as Muichiro breathes in the bubbles of air.

Whatever you do for others comes around to help you, as well, in the end.

Muichiro remembers Tanjiro's words.

And humans are creatures who can summon unbelievable strength for the sake of someone other than themselves. Muichiro.

Muichiro remembers another man's voice in his head.

Yes, I know. Mist Breathing, Second Form, Eight Layered Mist.

Muichiro says as he breaks through the water vase, falling to the ground.

I remember now, Tanjiro. My Father had the same red eyes as you.