23- A Connected Bond: Daybreak and First Light

I did it! I cut off the head of the main body! I did it!

Tanjiro says as the sun peeks over the edge of the mountain. He gasps as he turns around, running back to Nezuko who starts to wake up.

"Nezuko, you can't be like this in an open space!" Tanjiro says as he does his best to get to her before the sun does, "Nezuko, run! Get-" he says as he struggles to get a word out.

Nezuko screams as she gets up, running towards Tanjiro.

"Nezuko, no. You need to get to shelter" Tanjiro says as he grabs her, holding her back as she continues to scream, "no! Nezuko! You don't have to come this way! It's you! It's you! You're the one in danger! Because the sun's coming up. If the sunlight hits you, you're gonna die! Nezuko! Nezuko! Run!" he says as he realises Nezuko is focused on something going on behind him.

He turns around and sees that the demon is running towards the three humans headless. Tanjiro gasps as he runs off when the sun rapidly comes over the mountain. Nezuko screams from behind him as she holds her hands up, blocking the sun out as Tanjiro turns around.

"Nezuko!" Tanjiro says worriedly as he runs to her, covering her the best he can.

Genya and Muichiro hear Nezuko screaming as they look over and see the sun burning her. Genya rushes down the side of the cliff, doing his best not to lose his footing.

"Tokito-san, please don't move" Kotetsu says as he, Haganezuka and Kanamori hold Muichiro back.

"I have to go. Nezuko's gonna die" Muichiro says as he struggles to get up.

"Nezuko, make yourself smaller" Tanjiro says as the two of them kneel down, "make yourself smaller" he says as Nezuko shrinks down.

The sun's not even all the way up and look how bad it is! Nezuko. Oh crap, that demon is gonna get those humans! Somebody, Genya. Tokito-kun! Where's Sakura-san? Who am I kidding? They can't get here from the top of that cliff! Wait! That demon should be burning, too! No good! By then, the villagers will be dead! If I run while carrying Nezuko, I won't make it in time! I can't do it! I can't make up my mind! I can't make up-

Tanjiro says as he feels Nezuko push him and then kick him away.

"Nezuko!" Muichiro and Genya yell as they watch everything go down.

Tanjiro looks at Nezuko who balls her first, gesturing for him to go on. Tanjiro lands on the ground as he glares at the demon, tears falling from his eyes. He doesn't look back as he picks up his speed, running towards the demon.

"Sniff it out" Tanjiro says angrily, taking a deep breath in, "found it! It's in its chest!".

"We're done for! We're done for!" one of the men say as the demon grabs two of them.

"This time, I'm gonna kill you!" Tanjiro yells as he cuts down the demon vertically before changes his direction, cutting horizontally through its chest, cutting the smaller demon's head off.

I won but I had to sacrifice Nezuko! Burned by the sunlight! Not even Nezuko's bones remain!

Tanjiro says as he falls to his knees.

"Nezuko" Tanjiro says as tears falls from his eyes, "Nezuko! To turn Nezuko back into a human, that was why, that was why I came this far!".

"Kamado-dono" the man says as he kneels down to Tanjiro, "K-Kamado-dono" he says as he spots someone behind Tanjiro, "Kamado-dono! Behind you!".

Tanjiro turns his head around as he sees Nezuko walking towards him, her muzzle off her mouth, but her eyes, fangs and claws still in place, except she can walk in the sun.