Chapter 3

As soon as he got back to his apartment, Finn slammed the door behind him. He was sure that nobody had followed him, but he bolted it shut and drew all the curtains. Phone in hand, he considered calling the police. He turned on his phone, to find a missed call and a voicemail left by Rose. Pressing himself against the door and breathing hard, Finn played the voicemail as quietly as he could.

"Finn, it's Rose. I'm worried about you. The news is going crazy. Something alien has come to earth. Everyone's panicking- there's riots in the streets. You didn't go to meet this guy did you? Please call me back when you can. Stay safe."

Finn opened messages and sent Rose a text.

F: Hey. Can't talk right now, but I saw it too.

R: Finn! What happened??? You saw that guy, didn't you?

F: Yeah. I'm really sorry, but I might have a bigger problem right now. This guy I met isn't from earth, and he wanted me to go with him somewhere. I refused, thinking he was out of it, but he called in the starship. There were soldiers with rifles that tried to abduct me. Poe said they would only hurt me if I fought back.

R: WTF???? Where are you?? I'm coming to get you.

F: I'm at home. I think I got away. Should I call the cops?

R: If you want. Do you want me to get you??

F: No. They don't know where I am, and if they see us, they'll most likely shoot you.

R: Holy shit. I told you to not meet this weirdo!! Are the aliens hostile????

F: I hope not. They call themselves a military???

R: That's not good.. I can't talk right now but will text you asap. DO NOT LEAVE YOUR HOUSE. For the love of god, stay safe.

F: I'll try :(

Loud shouting outside Finn's house brought him to his senses. He sat against the door, not making a sound, hardly breathing. A minute or two passed and the yelling became more distant. Finn breathed a sigh of relief. He was safe here. For now. Finn hadn't realized how tired he had become, and couldn't remember what time it was when he fell asleep.

He awoke sometime later to the sound of gentle knocking on his door. Finn slowly rose to his feet.

"Finn?" A voice called quietly. "Are you okay?"

Expecting it to be Rose, Finn unlatched and unlocked the door.

It was Poe, and in his hands he held a coffee. Finn's eyes widened, but Poe was alone.

"I'm sorry." He said quietly. "I should have told you what was going on."

Finn nodded. "That would've been cool." He said, looking to see if anyone else was lurking in the shadows. "It's just me." Poe said, catching his gaze. "The others have a bigger problem on their hands."

"What is it?"

"Your people are rioting." Instead of being angry, Poe just looked sad. "You won. We can't stay here for much longer with all the attention we're getting. So yeah, you can stay where you are."

"Why are you here?" Finn asked. Poe held out the coffee to Finn.

"I felt bad. I didn't mean to scare you. I didn't realize that you're still a kid."

"I'm 19." Finn corrected, but he took the drink gratefully. "Do you wanna come inside for a minute?"

Poe hesitated. "I don't think I have time."