Chapter 18

Kylo Ren stood on the bridge of his star destroyer, looking out into space. It wasn't long now. Soon, Dameron's lover would do exactly what he was supposed to do, and everything would fall into place. The Jedi would all be left to his mercy.

Ren was disturbed from his thoughts by approaching footsteps behind him. He turned to see a young officer.

"Sir." He said nervously, hands clenched. Whatever it was, he was worried. "The Jedi is gone. We looked for her, but it appears she took a TIE fighter and escaped. We're trying to find her."

"Don't bother." Ren said lightly. "This is all part of the plan. Now, she will flee to the rest of the Jedi, and send a distress call to the Resistance. More specifically, to Poe Dameron and his new friend."

The officer seemed both confused and relieved.

"You are dismissed." Ren told him.

Poe looked at the Resistance officer, arms crossed. "What do you mean you didn't find anything?" He hissed. The officer pressed his lips into a thin line.

"We searched all around the area, looking for clues, sir." He said. "But the girl you sent us to look for died a long time ago. The authorities believe it to be murder, but I can't confirm any-"

"It was." Poe told him. At the officer's sceptical glance, he added: "I was there." The officer's eyes widened as he realised what had happened. "..Oh."

"Are you sure she's dead?" Poe asked.

"Absolutely." The officer confirmed. "She was buried in a cemetery at a local church."

"Where I met Finn.." Poe murmured.

"Sorry?" The officer asked. Poe shook his head.

"Nothing. You can go." The officer didn't need to be asked twice.

Poe was beginning to realise that he had a very big problem on his hands. If Rose was dead, but she was still talking to Finn.. how did that even work?

"Hey, one thing?" Poe called to the retreating officer, who turned around.

"Yes?"

Poe frowned slightly. "Have you heard of something called the World Between Worlds?"

The officer thought for a second. "I think so, but I learnt about it a long time ago so I don't know if there's much I can tell you. The basics of it is that if you're Force Sensitive, you can end up in this alternate reality kinda thing. It lets you see things that have happened in the past."

"And people?" Poe asked.

"People?"

"Yeah. Can you see people from the past, even if they're dead or something?"

The officer shrugged. "Probably. Sorry, I don't know much."

"That's alright." Poe said. "That's all I wanted to know."

"You wanted to see me?" Ren asked through the hologram.

"Yes." Poe told him. "I've found something out that might interfere with our plan. Finn has been claiming to see a dead friend of his through the world between worlds. Only force users can get there, or so I've heard."

"I have heard as much." Ren agreed. "It is not a literal place you can travel to, more a subconscious part of your mind that the Force can take you to. But to hear that your friend might be Force Sensitive.." He paused. "This is not a problem. It will give him more reason to lead us to the Jedi. Tell him to seek out the Jedi."

"How will I do that?" Poe asked.

"The Jedi Rey has fled." Ren told him. "She will not come back to the Resistance, as she suspects you as a traitor. She has run to the Jedi, wherever they will be. Finn will lead us to her, and to the rest of them."

"But what then?" Poe asked, ignoring the sinking feeling in his chest, wondering if Rey really suspected him.

"What do you mean?"

"After we find the Jedi. What happens to Finn?"

Ren paused. "He will not be harmed. Once he leads us to the Jedi, I will make sure he safely makes it back to you. You have my word."

Finn was drifting in and out of sleep. His vision was blurred, and he wasn't sure what was real and what wasn't. All he could see when he opened his eyes was blue. As his vision refocused, he realised where he was.

"You're back." Rose said. Finn turned around to see her, arms crossed with a slight smile on her face.

"I guess so."

"Good. I need to talk to you." Rose suddenly seemed concerned.

"Yeah? About what?" Finn could hear voices far off, in the distance. Poe's voice. This seemed to worry Rose.

"About Poe." She said, "You can't trust him, until you know where his loyalties lie."

"Yeah, you said that already." Finn said. "He hasn't done anything."

"He does not mean to." Rose told him. "But he has no choice."

Finn sighed. "Can you stop speaking funny? If you wanna tell me something just say it."

"I-" Rose began, but she was cut off. The world once again faded, and Finn was met with the real world, as his eyes slowly opened.

"Heya." Poe said. "Can't sleep forever buddy. We've got things to do."

Finn opened his eyes slowly. "Like what?"

"I need to ask you something." Poe told him. "But it might be a lot to take in."