Chapter 10

When Finn woke up, Poe was not there. His alarm was beeping at him, letting him know it was time to get up. Before he could even think, there was a knock at his door.

"Yeah?" He called, half asleep and expecting it to be Poe. The door slid open. It was not Poe.

It was Rey, and she had her usual frown on her face, hands on hips. "You're needed. We're going on another supply run."

"Who's we?" Finn asked, sitting up. Rey gave him a look.

"Me, you, and Poe. Lucky me."

Finn smiled. "Have you seen him today?"

"Who, Poe? Yeah. Uh- he asked me to ask you if you slept alright?" Finn almost laughed at the concerned expression on Rey's face. "Are you okay?"

Finn nodded. "I'm good. I'll see you in a minute."

Ten minutes later, Finn was at the hangar, looking for his friends. They were standing together. Rey had her arms crossed, and Poe was complaining about the ship they had been given to travel in. Finn walked over to them.

"Hey."

Poe turned around, and looked a little surprised to see Finn. "Oh, hi."

Finn could tell something was up. "Are you okay?" He asked.

"I'm good." Poe subconsciously put an arm around Finn. He grinned. "Sleep well?"

Finn smiled. "Yeah. Uh- I'm sorry if I made it awkward last night. I probably should have woken you up, but you looked so tired that I thought it would be better to let you sleep."

The two of them boarded the ramp, and Poe sat himself in the pilot's seat. Finn stood behind him. "It's no problem." Poe assured him. "I slept alright, to be fair. The General wanted to speak to me very early, maybe I should have left you a note or something."

Finn shrugged. "It's fine." Rey was still checking their kit, so Finn asked, "Is something up? You didn't look so good earlier. What did the General want to talk to you about?"

For a moment, Poe looked like he wanted to say something, but he decided against it. "It's nothing." He said. "Thanks for letting me stay with you."

"No problem." Finn said. "Thanks for waking me up." He paused, leaned in very close to Poe, and whispered, "You know, you could stay over again." As soon as the words were out of Finn's mouth, he instantly regretted it. What was he thinking? Before he could say something, Rey entered the cockpit and sat in the co-pilot's seat.

"Ready to go?" Poe asked.

"Ready." Rey confirmed. Finn could tell there was something wrong. Both Poe and Rey shared the same worried expression. "Poe." She said, "Can I talk to you?"

Poe nodded, and Finn left the cockpit. He turned the corner, and stopped. He felt bad for eavesdropping, but he wanted to know what was going on.

"You haven't told him, have you?" Rey asked quietly, as the starship took off.

"Of course I haven't!" Poe snapped. "But I still think it's unfair. He deserves to know."

Finn frowned. He had a bad feeling they were talking about him.

"I know." Rey said. "But you were given strict instructions to stay quiet. You don't want to get in any more trouble than you already are."

Poe sighed heavily. "I guess. Screw the council, man. Did they genuinely expect me to kill some guy I'd just met? For one, he was terrified, and for two, I was the only person in the galaxy he had left."

"There's nothing you can do." Rey said. "I can't believe they expected you to follow orders." There was a pause. "What? You can't exactly argue with that. Anyway, you didn't kill him, and he's with us now."

There was another pause. "I don't trust the council with him." Poe said quietly. "I know I'm being silly, but I have to keep him away from them." Finn could hear someone getting out of their seat. "I'll be one sec." Poe said.

Finn quickly sat down, trying to make it seem like he hadn't been listening. Instead, he fumbled with his jacket as Poe came round the corner.

Poe wasn't fooled. He sat next to Finn and put an arm around his shoulder. "You heard all of that, didn't you?" He asked quietly.

Finn tried to act surprised. "What?"

"Listen, I'm in a bad position." Poe said. "I'm in a lot of trouble, and I guess you know that it's about you."

Finn inhaled quickly. "You were going to kill me?" He asked, in little more than a whisper. Poe's face fell, and he took Finn's hand.

"No." He said, a little too aggressively. "I- no. I was never going to do that."

"But you were told to?"

Poe sighed. "Yes. They said you could be dangerous. We're not savages, Finn, we try to spare as many people as we can, especially when they haven't done anything wrong like you. The problem is, they didn't realize I let you go." Poe put his head in his hands. "I swore to not tell you that. I'm screwed."

Finn squeezed Poe's hand. "I won't tell anyone." He promised. "But what's going to happen to me now?"

"Nothing." Poe insisted. "Nothing happens. Not while I'm here."

Finn smiled at him. "Thank you." He looked Poe in the eyes. "Uh, can I tell you something?"

Poe nodded. "Of course."

"Um." The words were stuck in Finn's throat. "Uh.. nevermind."

"Finn." Poe insisted. "You know you can tell me anything, yeah?"

"Yeah."

"Do you trust me?"

"More than anyone."

Poe smiled. "So, what is it?"

Finn smiled back. He took a deep breath. "I-" But the words would not come out. "I-" He took Poe's other hand, but the words were still stuck. "I.." He stared hopelessly at his friend, who gave his hands a little squeeze.

"I know." Poe told him gently. Finn's eyes widened slightly. He put one hand on Poe's hips, the other on the back of his head. The two of them leaned in, closing their eyes, and their lips met.

"Guys!" Rey called, from the cockpit. "I could use some help here!"

Finn and Poe instantly detached, slightly embarrassed. Poe got to his feet. "I need to grab something." He said. "You might wanna go see if Rey's okay. I'll be there in a sec." With that, he turned a corner and disappeared, leaving Finn in a mix of emotions.

Finn made his way to the cockpit.