Chapter 23

Finn had gone looking for Poe. He had a feeling that the pilot would be looking for him, and he thought he had better chances of getting far away from everyone else, taking the threat far into the countryside. After the enclave had been destroyed, Finn was left with no other choice. His heart was pounding hard in his chest, praying to a god he didn't believe in that everyone would be okay. Especially Rey. She was the only friend he seemed to have left.

Seeing the bodies on the horizon, Finn became less and less confident that everything was okay.

The further he walked, the colder it seemed to get. The clouds let the rain fall, blocking out the sun. He ignited his lightsaber to comfort himself. He wasn't sure if there was anyone left to give it back to.

"Finn." A voice behind him startled him. He turned slowly, defensive.

"Poe."

Finn pointed his lightsaber in Poe's direction, hoping he wouldn't realise that he had no idea how to use it. Poe didn't react, just watched him, some sort of sadness in his eyes. Fake sadness. Finn wasn't going to fall for Poe's lies again.

"You've done well." Poe told him, "You're more powerful than you think. You can be trained to be more powerful than you could ever imagine."

Finn shook his head. "No." He said, "I don't want this, any of this. I just want to go home." He could feel tears forming in his eyes, and he blinked them away angrily.

"I'm afraid that won't be possible." A voice that did not belong to Poe said. Finn turned around to see none other than Kylo Ren. "Poe Dameron, you have done as I asked. You have done everything I have ever asked of you. And now, I have no use for you anymore."

Poe's eyes widened. "..I don't understand." He said. He understood very shortly after when Ren ignited his lightsaber, red flame snarling. He raised a gloved hand up to Poe's face. "But, as promised, you may have your mind back for the last of your moments."

Finn watched in horror as Poe's face twisted in pain. He cried out, a single sob, eyes wide and reddened. He dropped to the floor, barely catching himself, breathing hard. Finn gripped the hilt of his saber tightly. "What are you doing to him?"

Ren looked up at him. "You didn't think that Dameron would work for me out of his own free will, did you?" He laughed. "Oh, no. He's been under my control ever since I got my hands on him, all that time ago. Did his friends never tell you about how inspiring he used to be? How he was a fearless leader? How he cared about people? How he changed?"

Finn remembered Jess' story, about how Poe had seemed different ever since he had been tortured. She had been so close to the truth. Finn felt guilty, seeing Poe in agony, but in that moment, he cared more about his own life. He turned and ran, ignoring the both pained and furious cries behind him. He had never run faster in his entire life.

Poe looked up at Kylo Ren, still on his knees, hands on the ground, arms shaking. "W- where am I?" He stammered.

Ren smiled underneath the mask. "Look around you, Dameron. Look at the burning enclave. Look at the bodies, the bodies of the Jedi who could not hide forever. Look at it, and know this is all your fault."

Poe's eyes widened in horror. "What do you mean? How could I.. I don't understand." His breathing became faster and faster in fear. He tried to stand, but wobbled back to his feet.

"Don't try to get up." Ren told him. "You don't need to." He pointed his lightsaber at Poe. "You won't need to do anything, ever again.

"Heads up!" A voice from behind him called. Ren spun around immediately, his red lightsaber clashing with Rey's blue. "Get out of here!" She yelled to Poe, dodging a hit from Ren. "There's a kid running around somewhere, his name is Finn. He's armed, and he doesn't know what he's doing. You need to find him!"

Poe had gotten to his feet. "I'll come back for you!" He called. He wasted no time in making it seem like he was getting to safety. He wasn't sure that his plan was a good one, but it was the best he could come up with. He hid not too far away from the battle, hidden behind a group of wide trees. He watched as Rey desperately blocked attacks from Ren. He could tell how tired she was getting, but he had to wait. Wait until the time was right. He only hoped that he wasn't waiting too long.

Rey's eyes widened as the lightsaber was knocked from her hand, the force of the blow knocking her to her feet. Ren stood above her, his own saber pointed in her direction. She was powerless.

"There is nowhere for you to go." Ren snarled. "Nobody can help you now, except yourself. You will help me track down this new friend of yours.. or you will live no longer. Do not be a fool."

Rey shook her head, glaring up at him through the rain. "I will never help you."

Ren seemed displeased. "Then you will die."

"Think again!" Poe called. He fired his blaster in Ren's direction, but he had been too late. With an outstretched hand, Ren stopped the bolt mid air, and shot it back at Poe. It hit the pilot in his side, and he collapsed to the ground with a cry of pain, clutching the wound.

This had all been part of his plan. With Ren distracted, Rey had the time to grab her lightsaber back.. and stab Ren through the chest. He swivelled his head to look at her, hand on the hole in his chest. With a strangled cry, he fell to his knees, dead.

"Poe!" Rey called. He smiled weakly.

"I'm okay." She helped him to his feet. Once he was back up, Poe stared at her with worried eyes. "What have I done?"

"It's not your fault." She said, and pointed to Ren's body. "It's his. You had no control over yourself. This is all Ren's plan." Suddenly, she seemed to panic. "Finn! He's still out there!"

Poe frowned. "Who is this guy?"

Rey pressed her lips together. "He's some kid we picked up from Earth. I guess you, under Ren's control, must have made him believe you were in love with him, and used him to lead you to the Jedi. But Ren is gone, and Finn's gone off by himself. He blames himself for all of this, and he's terrified. I think if anyone can talk to him, it's you."

"You think this guy is gonna wanna talk to me after I've accidentally ruined his life?" Poe asked.

"I think you should try." Rey said, "If you're willing."

Poe sighed heavily, but nodded. "I'll do it."

"I'll get back to the enclave. The Resistance have already been contacted, they're on their way." She looked at the wound in Poe's chest. "Are you sure you'll be okay?"

"I'm sure. See ya around." Poe assured her, and once again went looking for Finn.