Chapter 16

Poe was standing in his quarters later that day, talking to a hologram. The person in the hologram was a masked figure, and they had their arms crossed over their chest, impatient. Poe was trying to keep his cool, but was not doing a good job of it.

"He was hurt." Poe snapped. "He got shot. How could you let this happen? I had your word."

The figure did not seem impressed. "Is he alive?" They asked, voice distorted by the mask.

Poe sighed. "..Yes." He admitted. "But he could have died. You know the mission won't work without him. If he dies all our efforts will go to waste."

"But he didn't die." The figure said. "It isn't like you to get so attached to someone, Commander. If I didn't know any better, I would think you actually cared about him."

Poe looked insulted. "You underestimate me. He doesn't suspect a thing."

"Good." The figure paused. "Is there something you want to tell me, Commander Dameron?"

Poe hesitated. "Yes," he said eventually. "But it is only a request. Finn is proving to be.. useful. I think it would benefit us to keep him around for a while longer."

The figure seemed amused. "Ah. I understand. Well here's something I never thought I'd see. Poe Dameron, in love."

Poe frowned. "I am not in love." He snapped. "You should understand our mission by now. I only 'care' about him until he leads us to the Jedi. But if he sees things our way, can we not keep him around?"

The figure laughed. "You really think that he'll see things your way? After you destroy his trust?"

Poe did not respond. "But does he have to know? Maybe we could keep him on the ship and stage something, make it look like it wasn't us."

"No." The figure insisted. "My decision is final. When the time comes, the human will die. Do we have a problem?"

"It just seems a bit sad." Poe told him. "The kid isn't even 20 yet. He's hardly lived. It seems a shame that he has to die so young." He sighed. "But that is how it must end."

The figure seemed pleased. "Good. I'm glad you see things my way, Commander. You are dismissed until further notice."

Poe was leaving his quarters when he bumped into Jess Pava. She seemed worried, so Poe stopped her.

"Is something wrong?"

Jess shook her head. "Not with me, no. But Finn, I think he's upset."

Poe shrugged. "Of course he's upset. I'm sure he'll be fine soon. He was okay earlier."

"I dunno." Jess said. "It was just a thought. He's been in his room for a while. He hasn't eaten."

"Maybe he's tired." Poe suggested.

"Maybe. But it's getting late and I think he would appreciate it if you checked on him."

Poe sighed. "Why me?"

Jess gave him a look. "He cares a lot about you, Poe. More than you realise. And I think you care about him more than you realise, too."

Poe was not sure how to respond to that. "I'll go check on him." He said, and walked away from Jess to find Finn.

Poe stopped in front of the locked door to Finn's quarters. He knocked gently on the door. "Finn?" He called. There was silence. "Finn? Are you in there?"

"Go away." A trembling voice came from inside the room. Poe tried again.

"Finn, it's just me. It's Poe."

There was another silence. Just as Poe thought Finn would ignore him all night, the door opened, and Finn poked his head through, face stained with tears. "What do you want?"

"Can I come in?" Poe asked. Finn nodded, and shut the door behind his friend. Poe wrapped his arms around Finn, holding the younger man close to his chest. "Oh, buddy. It's gonna be okay."

Finn began to cry softly into Poe's arms. "I'm sorry." He mumbled. "You probably think I'm such a baby. But Rey, Rose, all of this, it's so much. I don't know how you cope."

Poe wiped the tears from Finn's face. "War is difficult. It always is. It hurts- trust me, I know. But it's not all bad, this life. You have me, if no one else."

Finn forced a smile. He squeezed Poe tightly, and whispered; "I didn't know how to tell you earlier, but I think I can now." He buried his head into Poe's shoulder. "I love you. I love you, Poe. And I know I can't love you, because I love Rose, but.." He paused. Forget it. I'm not good at this."

Poe smiled, but his heart sank. He took one of Finn's hands. They embraced for a while, before Finn interrupted.

"It's getting late. I understand if you wanna go."

"Do you want me to go?" Poe asked quietly.

Finn smiled awkwardly. "Not really. I don't think I'm gonna sleep well tonight." He looked at the floor, cheeks flushed. "Uh, this might sound a bit weird, but would you lay with me for a bit?"

Poe squeezed Finn's hand. "Yeah, sure." He kicked off his shoes, and the two of them laid on Finn's bed. Neither of them said a word, just held each other, as they thought about the horrors of war, and how lucky they were to be alive. As held his friend, Poe felt sick. He felt sick as Finn began to breathe rhythmically and fell asleep in his arms. He felt sick knowing that Finn had fallen in love with him.

He didn't know why. He had done everything he was supposed to. Poe had spent a long time watching, picking out the right person for his mission. He had been looking for someone who was gullible, kind of stupid, far too trusting. And that person came in the form of Finn. Poe had picked him out so carefully. Finn was gullible, true. He was also far too trusting, which is what Poe had hoped for. But what he hadn't expected was how loyal Finn was. How loving he was, and how he would follow his friends to the edge of the galaxy without a second thought.

And so, when the time came, Finn would not be expecting it when Poe betrayed him. When he would understand how Poe had lied to him, and how he had to die.

"Hmmmm." Finn murmured, fast asleep. He rolled over, facing away from Poe. "Hmmm." Finn said again. "Uh.. puh..pa.." It took Poe a while to figure out what Finn was saying. "Pa.. Poe?" He rolled over again, still asleep. "Poe?" He asked again, slightly panicked.

"Yeah?" Poe asked sleepily.

"Hm?" Finn said again, more relaxed. Poe put an arm around Finn and fell asleep.