Chapter 15

Finn woke up, but not in the medbay. He opened his eyes and panicked. Around him were stars, a faraway galaxy, a supernova, another galaxy..

Somehow he was in space.

Had they sent him out the airlock? Was he dreaming? Finn was not sure. He looked down at his hands, and was surprised to not be freezing to death. Finn took a panicked gasp of air, just to find that he could actually breathe.

"What the hell?" He murmured. He put a hand to his chest, realising the blaster wound was gone. He stood up, to find himself on a walkway. It was shimmering, dark blue, and it looked to Finn like it was made of the tiniest stars.

There were more walkways surrounding him, but too far away for him to get to. The one he was on stretched out for miles, fading away into the distance.

"Finn." He heard his name called. He turned around to see Rose.

Oh. So he was dreaming.

"Rose?" He asked. "Where are we?"

"It is called the world between worlds. Very few can be here." Rose told him. Finn didn't understand.

"The world between worlds?" He asked.

"We are in between space and time. Using this place, someone could use portals to travel to different events in time, and see events that have happened in the past. Why you are here, I cannot tell you."

"Am I dead?" Finn wasn't sure he wanted to hear the answer.

"No." Rose told him. "Not yet. You're not ready yet."

Finn frowned. "Not ready?"

Rose shook her head. "There is much you have yet to do."

Finn was confused. "Is this a dream?"

"Yes. I guess so. But you have to listen to me. Your life is in danger." She held out a hand. "You don't belong with the Resistance, Finn. You belong on Earth."

"Yeah." Finn said quietly. "I know."

Rose still held out her hand to him. "Come home." She said, "Come back to me."

Finn looked at her, his eyes pleading with her, wishing she would understand. "You know I want to." He told her. "But I can't. There's nowhere for me on Earth anymore. This is home now."

Rose wouldn't take no for an answer. "You're wrong." She said softly. "You can come back, be with me."

Finn shook his head. "No." He said, in little more than a whisper. "Not anymore."

"Okay." Rose told him. "My offer still stands, though. I'm alive, Finn. I'm alive, and I still love you."

Finn wouldn't look her in the eyes.

"But you've already fallen in love, haven't you?" Rose asked. Finn nodded. "With who?"

Finn didn't want to talk about this, but he knew he was dreaming. What did he have to lose?

"His name is Poe." Finn said. To his surprise, Rose smiled.

"Awe. What's he like?"

Finn smiled back. "He's my best friend. He's got dark hair and brown eyes, and he's the best person you'll ever meet. He's a fighter pilot, the best in the entire Resistance, and he's been looking after me since the day we met. He's funny, and he's kind, and he always tries to do the right thing. He gave me his flight jacket as a present, and he's been teaching me to fly, and fire a blaster- and they have this whole other alphabet called aurebesh which he's been teaching me.. and to be honest I don't know why he likes me so much."