Chapter 6

Finn could only stare as the starfighter was pulled into the starcruiser with a tractor beam. They were brought into the hangar, and the entire ship shuddered slightly as it touched the ground, damaged from the hits they had taken earlier. Poe lowered the ramp, and all five of them got off, shaken, but alive.

Waiting for them was an elderly woman dressed in a purple robe, her greying hair tied up in plaits that wrapped around her head. She was accompanied by two soldiers. Poe smiled at the woman.

"General." He addressed her. He turned to Finn. "This is General Organa. She's in charge of everything here."

Finn smiled nervously at her. She smiled back.

"I'm glad you made it safely. I am General Organa of the Resistance, but you can call me Leia." She said. "You must be the Jedi we've been looking for."

Finn nodded. "Uh, yeah? I guess.. That's me. Jedi."

Leia nodded. "I see. Come with me. There are people who want to see you." She turned to the others. "Rey, come too. The rest of you are dismissed."

Poe gave Finn a wave, and the three pilots began to leave. Watching Poe go, Finn immediately felt panicked. He didn't want to be left alone here with people he didn't know.

He turned around, but Poe was already out the door, having a conversation with his friends. The pilot didn't look back, and Finn was left alone.

Leia was already leaving, with Rey following close behind. She shot a glance at Finn, who jogged to keep up with her.

As they walked, Rey looked at Finn. "You shouldn't be here." She said, a hint of anger in her voice. "You came from nowhere. You didn't even know what the Jedi were. You don't deserve to be here."

Finn had had enough. "Why do you hate me so much?" He asked.

Rey narrowed her eyes. "Because it should have been me." She snapped. "I'm Force Sensitive too. I've always known about the Jedi. I've trained for years to become one. I gave up my whole life to do this. And then someone decides that you're special, and we send out our entire military to find you." She raised her voice. "It's not fair."

Finn was surprised. Suddenly he felt bad. He agreed with Rey in a way. He had done basically nothing to get here. And if Rey had trained for years to become a Jedi just to be sidelined.. that was rough. Of course she was angry.

"I'm sorry." Was all Finn could come up with. "If we could switch places, I absolutely would. I didn't even want to be here in the first place."

Rey glared at him. "Oh, great. Thank you so much. I feel so much better now." She was silent for a moment, and said, "I don't sense the Force in you. Like, at all. There's nothing."

Finn tried to look surprised. "Oh. You think Poe got it wrong?"

Rey did not look impressed. "I really hope not."

Finn felt slightly nervous. He had already seen how hostile these people could be, and he didn't want to make Rey any angrier than she already was.

"Why?" He asked. "What would happen if Poe got it wrong? Not that he did, but I'm just wondering."

"You would most likely be terminated." Rey said flatly. "We can't risk the chance of what might happen if we let an imposter go."

"An imposter?" Finn was beginning to worry. "Terminated? Why?"

"You could be a spy." Rey suggested. "Working for the enemy. And if you weren't, imagine how many people would try to get their hands on you, thinking you knew Resistance secrets."

"But I'm not a spy!" Finn insisted. "Yesterday I was nobody. I'm not a threat to anyone."

"I'm not saying you are a spy." Rey told him. "But you sure are acting a bit strange. I would stop freaking out if I were you. You don't want to look suspicious." From her tone, Finn could tell he was being accused.

Before Rey could say anything else, they came to a stop in front of a large door. It slid open, revealing three seated individuals, dressed in long robes.

"These are the Jedi Masters." Leia informed Finn. "They have travelled long and far to speak to you." She stepped aside. "This is for you, and you alone to talk to them."

Finn slowly entered the room, glancing nervously at Rey, who's facial expressions gave away nothing. He felt horribly watched, as if millions of people were staring at him, judging him. He came to a halt in front of the Jedi, who were all seated in a semicircle.

"Human." The Jedi in the middle addressed him. "We are the temporary Jedi Council, and we have heard promising things about you. Tell me, what is your name?"

"Uh." Finn felt like his throat had closed up. "I'm Finn." When he was met without a response, he added, "Just Finn."

The Jedi murmured to each other, until the middle one asked, "Do you know why you are here?"

Finn hesitated, wondering if it was worth lying. He decided against it. These people would probably read his mind, anyway. "No." He told them. "But I've been told I might be Force Sensitive."

"We hope you are." The Jedi on the left said. "After the disruption you have caused on your home planet, we hope it will have been worth it."

Finn's eyes widened. "The disruption? But it'll get covered up eventually."
The Jedi all shared the same look of disappointment. "I'm sure you have heard about the rioting." The Jedi on the right said. He paused. "You have. You have lost a friend to these riots." The Jedi looked up at Finn. "That is why you are here."

Finn was silent for a moment, but nodded.

"If you are to be a Jedi, you must understand that attachment is strictly forbidden." The middle Jedi told him. "It can only distract you from the path of light."

Finn was becoming less and less keen on this whole 'Jedi' idea. He hadn't come here to join some religious cult. He had come here because that was where his only friend was going.

As if reading his mind, the Jedi on the left spoke. "You do not wish to become a Jedi. Clouded by the pain of mourning, you followed Poe Dameron here, hoping for a new start." The Jedi once again spoke in hushed voices to each other, until the middle one spoke. "Summon Commander Dameron. We must speak to him."

Finn turned around to see the door open, and Leia listening. She nodded, and put a finger to her earpiece.

"Wait!" Finn protested. "He didn't do anything!"

"They won't hurt him." Rey told Finn, from the door. Finn wasn't convinced.

"He just brought me here because that's what he got told to do. He didn't do anything wrong!"

"Silence." The Jedi on the right ordered.

Finn hung his head and waited in silence. Within a minute or two, Poe appeared in the doorway. He looked at the Jedi, and then at Finn. "You okay?" He asked.

Finn nodded.

"Commander Dameron." The Jedi in the middle addressed him. "We seem to have a problem."

Poe narrowed his eyes. "Yes?"

"The human you have brought to us is no Jedi, nor is he Force Sensitive."

Finn's eyes widened, and both he and Poe shared the same shocked expression.

"What?" Finn blurted out.

"What?" Poe asked, stunned.

"You have brought the wrong person." The Jedi continued. When Poe tried to protest, he continued, "While he might have had the right letter, it was not delivered to the right person. This man here is just a regular civilian. He cannot be trained."

"But you didn't test me or anything!" Finn insisted. The Jedi did not care.

"You do not have the ability to harness the Force, nor will you ever be able to." When Finn began to disagree, the Jedi spoke over him.

"Commander Dameron, Finn, you are dismissed."