Chapter 11

Rey was waiting, an impatient expression on her face. She had switched to the pilot's seat. Finn sat in the co-pilot's seat.

Rey gave him a look. Finn was confused.

"What?"

"I see you guys are close." Rey said, slightly amused.

Finn's eyes widened. There was no way she had seen them. "Wh- what do you mean?"

Rey shrugged. "I saw you guys talking earlier." She turned her eyes to the cockpit window. "You know it will never work, right?"

Finn frowned. "What will never work?"

"You and Poe. In a relationship. It won't work."

Finn raised his eyebrows. "We're not in a relationship." He hesitated. "But you know, if we were, why wouldn't it work? Not that we are, just wondering."

Rey sighed. "Poe isn't known for getting into good relationships." She said, "He's a fighter, not a lover. I don't know if he doesn't have time, or it's just weird to him, but he just can't fall in love. The first, and last proper relationship he was in ended up getting pretty messy." Rey looked at Finn. "But there's someone else, isn't there?"

Finn sat back in his seat. "There was." He admitted. "Not anymore."

Rey looked sad. "There was?" She asked.

"She died." Finn told her. "Girl called Rose. We were in love. But she got shot. It was my fault." He sighed.

For once, Rey didn't give him some snarky comment. She just looked at him, sadness in her eyes. "I'm sorry." She said, "I'm sure she's proud of you.." Rey gestured around the cockpit, "..For this."

Finn nodded. "I hope so."

Before the two of them could say anything else, Poe entered the cockpit. He gave Rey a look, until she got out of the pilot's seat, swapping with Finn for the other seat.

"Have we got everything?" Rey asked. Poe nodded.

"Yeah." He wouldn't look Finn in the eyes, still embarrassed. He flicked some switches above his head. "Jumping to lightspeed in 3.. 2..1." On 1, the starship shot forwards, stars around them becoming little more than a blur. Finn had learned by now to be holding on to something when they made a jump. Neither Poe nor Rey were very impressed by the jump, but Finn supposed that was because they had been flying their whole lives. Finn still thought it was super cool.

The starship wobbled slightly as it came out of lightspeed, the stars becoming normal again. A planet loomed before them, a mix of blues and greys and greens. Poe laughed at Finn's expression. "It's beautiful, isn't it?"

Finn nodded. "Yeah."

A few minutes later, the starship touched down on the planet's surface. All three people in the cockpit got to their feet. Finn grabbed his mask, ignoring Poe's grin.

They walked down the ramp, into the blazing heat of midday. Both Finn and Poe were armed with blaster rifles, Rey with a lightsaber. Poe tapped lightly on Finn's mask, smiling. Finn ignored him. There was something else on his mind. While Rey and Poe talked to each other, Finn took a few hurried steps forward and stopped. He raised a hand to signal to his friends.

Both soldiers stopped in their tracks. "What is it?" Poe asked.

"We have to go back." Finn told him.

Poe frowned. "What? Why?"

"I don't know." Finn said, turning to face them. Rey narrowed her eyes.

"Are you okay?"

Finn glanced around the area. They had landed in a clearing, and around them was jungle stretching out in all directions for miles. Tall trees loomed over them, entangled in overgrown vines. Other than trees, there was nothing Finn could see, but that didn't shake off the feeling that he was being watched. His heart was beating quickly, and Finn gripped his blaster tighter, tense. He stared out into the forest, with a horrible feeling that he was being watched. That there was something out there. And as long as it stayed out there, his friends were in danger.

"Stay here." He told them, walking forward, blaster in hand.

"Finn?" Poe called.

Finn didn't know how to explain. "Please trust me." He insisted. "I won't be long. Just stay here." Without another word, he left his friends behind, and walked off into the darkness.