Chapter 21

Finn stood shakily in front of the blank holo recorder. He knew what he had to do, but he was scared. Scared of confronting Poe. The only person who had been there for him the entire time. Scared of getting caught.

He wondered if Poe was waiting outside for him, waiting to know everything. He wondered if what Rey had said was true, and if Poe already knew that she was alive. He wondered if Poe knew what he knew.

He supposed there was only one way to find out. He opened the door, hearing his heartbeat in his chest.

Poe was not there.

To the hangar, then.

Finn tried his best to walk at a steady pace, nothing too suspicious. He was fighting the desperate urge to sprint all the way there, eyes squeezed shut.

"Nothing to worry about." He murmured. "I'm almost at the hangar. I can even see it."

As he entered the hangar, he tried not to worry about the very limited pilot training he had got from Poe.

Poe had believed in him. Tried relentlessly to teach him to fly. Taught him to fight- to survive in this new world he had been thrown into. Poe had cared about him, and here he was, running away.

Was he cursed to be running forever?

He was distracted from his thoughts by a voice yelling at him.

"Finn? Where are you going?"

It was Poe, and he was rapidly approaching. Finn walked faster to the starfighter he was taking, an X-wing. "I was.. uh, just checking it out."

"For what?" Poe asked. Finn began to climb the ladder. "Hey!" Poe called. His walk became a jog. "Finn!"

"I know everything!" Finn called, pulling himself into the cockpit. Poe stopped running to look at him.

"What are you talking about? Finn? Come down here, tell me what's going on."

"Don't lie to me." Finn snapped. "I know what you've done. You're a spy."

Poe's confused expression became an amused one, a cold smile spreading across his lips. "You got me. Let me guess, Rey?"

"You knew about her, too?"

Poe was still smiling. "I've known about all of it. All this time. I picked you out especially, you know. I tried to pick out the most gullible person, the most trusting. And it's all gone my way. You even turned out to be Force Sensitive, I mean, what a surprise eh?"

Finn's eyes widened. "..You knew?"

"Of course I knew. Those Jedi Masters who met you all that time ago, they told me. They didn't realise that I meant to kill them until it was too late. I'm quite good at shielding emotions from Jedi, you know."

"And if I hadn't been Force Sensitive, what would've happened to me?" Finn asked.

Poe shrugged. "I wouldn't have needed you. And you have done exactly what you were not supposed to. You have ruined everything." Poe jabbed a finger in Finn's direction. "You, you have destroyed everything I have ever worked for. So go, wherever you're going. I don't care where, just go. Go and don't come back."

Finn watched from the cockpit as it closed.

Everything Rey had told him had been true. Everything Poe had told him had been a lie. And he was still running.

He had one last place to run to.

After Finn had left, the first thing Poe had done was to go back to where Finn had received the holo message. He fiddled with it for a moment, trying to get it to play back the message. There was static for a moment, only some words becoming clear.

"..have to.. honest..yes or no.." He waited another moment. "..Dantooine.. Jedi Enclave.. no way.. First Order.. find us here.."

Poe smiled to himself.

As Finn travelled through hyperspace, it reminded him of his first time travelling this way. After Poe had 'rescued' him.

Led him on.

Lied to him.

Pretended to love him.

Pretended to be his friend.

Finn leaned back in his seat and let a tear fall down his face. This wasn't fair. He was only 19, fresh out of school. He was technically still a teenager, and yet he had been lied to, thrown into a war for the benefit of someone else.

He wanted to go home. He didn't want any part of this. He didn't want to run anymore.