Chapter 13

Poe also had a bad feeling, although he hadn't told Finn. There was no reason to worry him any more than he already was. He was becoming increasingly concerned with how the trap must have been planned out for ages. What worried him the most was how the First Order had decided that Finn was the best option to use as bait. He would have to stay with the Resistance for a while, not go anywhere, until it was definitely safe for him to be seen.

Both of them had come so close to death, it made Poe feel ill. He was a trained soldier, but Finn didn't have half the experience, and was very against shooting the enemy because it felt wrong. Sometimes Poe wondered why he brought Finn along anyway.

He could see the ship in the distance. It looked exactly how they had left it, untouched by the strange First Order soldiers. Poe looked around. He had his blaster at the ready in his hand.

Poe was not superstitious, but he felt like he was being watched.

He began to jog towards the starship.

Finn walked slowly down the compartment, blaster at the ready, Rey leading the way. They came to another hole in the wall, and outside stood a dozen more soldiers. Even though they were masked, they looked bored, as if they were waiting.

'Waiting for me.' Finn realized.

The next few minutes happened so quickly, Finn wasn't entirely sure of all of it even after it had happened. Maybe he had poked his head out too far, maybe he had made a noise, he would never know. All he knew was that one soldier turned around, facing directly where Finn was crouched by the hole, raised his rifle, and fired. Rey immediately sprang in front of Finn to cover him, deflecting the blaster bolts with her lightsaber while Finn very shakily returned fire.

It seemed to go on forever. No matter how many soldiers were taken down, more reinforcements would show up, leaving Rey exhausted and fighting for her life.

Finn watched as another batch of soldiers turned up. Rey was trying not to panic, but it was getting more difficult by the second.

"Go get Poe!" Rey yelled.

"I can't leave you here!" Finn protested.

"You have to!" Rey snapped. "Please hurry."

She covered Finn as he sprinted back down the train, out the hole and into the forest. His heart was hammering in his chest as he ran, terrified that something was going to get behind him and shoot him in the back. He ran until his legs could not hold his weight anymore, and he turned around, gasping for air.

A whirring noise made Finn look upwards, and he saw the starship nearing where he stood. Finn waved his arms in the air, hoping to get Poe's attention. It worked, and the pilot touched down the starship in a clearing not from where Finn was standing. Poe poked his head out, and seeing Finn was alone, left the cockpit and jogged over to his friend.

"Where's Rey?" Poe demanded.

Finn shook his head, still breathing hard. "She's.. the train.. there were too many of them." He inhaled quickly. "She told me to go get you."

Poe's eyes widened, but it wasn't a look of surprise. He was furious, and grabbed Finn by his shoulders.

"You left her on her own?"

Finn blinked quickly. "I- I had to. I had to get you!"

The expression on Poe's face was a mix of terror and anger. He took Finn's arm roughly and pulled him towards the starship. "How many soldiers were there?"

Finn had to think for a moment as Poe led him up the landing ramp. "At least six, maybe eight?"

Poe sat back in the pilot's seat and lifted the starship into the air without another word. They began to fly towards the train. In a starfighter it didn't take long to get there. "We were there." Finn pointed.

As Poe brought the ship to the ground, Finn looked out the cockpit. It was deserted. Rey had gone.

Poe ran out the ramp, closely followed by Finn. Everyone was gone.

"There." Finn pointed to a starship. The soldiers were there, and they had a prisoner in handcuffs. It had to be Rey.

Poe fired in the starship's direction with his blaster, but that only encouraged the soldiers to move faster. In less than a minute they had left the atmosphere. Finn could just about tell the moment they jumped to lightspeed.

Finn turned around to face Poe. The pilot was facing away from him, standing with his arms by his side, staring out into the distance, defeated. "They took her." He murmured.

"Poe?" Finn asked quietly. Poe didn't respond. Finn gently placed a hand on his shoulder. Poe spun around, his fist meeting the side of Finn's face.

"What the fuck?" Finn yelled.

"Are you insane?" Poe screamed at him. "Do you know what you've done? They took her, you idiot! The First Order took the last known Jedi in the galaxy, and it's your fault!"

Finn took a little step back, afraid.

"I didn't mean to!" Finn pleaded. Poe glared at him.

"But you don't think, do you? Did you not think about what would happen if they got their hands on Rey? Do you know what's gonna happen now? They'll torture her for information, and then they'll torture her until she turns. If the First Order gets Rey on their side, we can't stop them. If they get her on their side, they've won. Do you understand that?"

Finn didn't know what to say. He had never seen Poe so angry before, and never at him.

"I'm sorry." He said quietly.

"I'm sure you are." Poe snapped. He turned around, and started walking back to the starship. Finn stayed where he was. He was half expecting Poe to leave him behind. When Poe reached the ramp, he looked back at Finn, still glaring.

"Are you coming or not?"

Finn silently followed him up the ramp and sat down as Poe sat back in the pilot's seat. He couldn't shake off the guilt. It was in his head, in his lungs, making it difficult to breathe. Finn put a hand to his chest. He thought about Rey, and how he could have maybe saved her. He thought about Poe, and how everyone was in danger.

Finn took his hand away from his chest to find it dripping with blood.