Chapter Eleven: Memory

Shadow couldn't help but stare at Maria confused, "who?" Shadow asked while eating his pudding, "Amy Rose? The girl you were telling me about on our walk! I want to know where she went yesterday." Maria said rolling her wheelchair closer to Shadows side. 

Maria felt uncomfortable with the idea of Shadow suddenly losing memories of Amy, "I... I don't know what your talking about, I was telling you about my missions with Rouge and everyone." Shadow said putting his pudding down, he didn't understand what Maria was talking about, but hearing Amy's name made his chest tighten and the scar on his body burn.

"No! Amy, come on! She was the one who kicked me-"

"Who kicked you!?" Shadow sat up in his bed furious to hear someone hurt Maria. "No! She didn't, I was just- No! That's not the point! Shadow please, you need to remember-" Maria said reaching over to Shadow but he gently brushed her hand away. "No, who kicked you? What happened?" Maria sighed knowing very well Shadow wouldn't change the subject.

"Maria it's time to go back." Maria felt a cold chill go down her back when she heard Mephiles voice, she looked up at him surprised to see him even there to begin with but she's scared if it was because of her bringing up Amy. 

"What? Visiting hours aren't done until 6." Shadow glared at Mephiles, Mephiles only rolled his eyes before walking over to Maria grabbing her wheelchair before taking her away ignoring Shadow. 

Maria stayed silent as Mephiles took her back to her room. "Mephiles... What have you been doing?" Maria finally spoke, she knew it was a bad idea to even ask Mephiles for he didn't like stupid questions yet she noticed his sigh, it sounded so tired.

"I want to protect Shadow." Mephiles said arriving to Maria's room, she glanced back to see his bored expression. "Protect him?" Maria asked as he helped her back into her bed, "yes... If you remember a few years ago, Shadow was so bright." Mephiles said fixing up the sheets.

"It was because of this girl.. Who messed with him for another, when he came back with such an empty expression... I couldn't hold my anger." Mephiles explained sitting next to Maria, she only listened closely as she remembered this expression.

"He had the expression when you fell ill. And when our parents died." Maria's heart sank, she remembered Shadow's emptiness when it happened, the way he didn't eat or drink all he did was focus on what needed to get done even when he broke his leg he didn't even wince or cry. "Mephiles, I don't think hurting those around him will help! Besides what your doing is killing him!" Maria said grabbing Mephiles hand, his bored expression slowly went cold as she yanked his hand away from her.

"No. She is. If only she stayed away longer, do you not know how curses work? If you are able to forget there was even one to begin with it will be as if it was lifted. But the fact she returned and has been forcing him to remember that pain, it awoken the curse that she implanted herself." Mephiles scoffed showing a hint of happiness but quickly shifted to a angry expression.

"I have work to do." Maria was about to stop him but she held back noticing how furious he was even thinking about it. 

Maria watched as Mephiles left her room, his faking to care and she knows it, it was like when Mephiles and Shadow's parents died... Mephiles was smiling when everything went to hell for the family. "I don't think you actually care.." Maria muttered looking out the window.

Is this truly what Mephiles wanted?

Meanwhile with Shadow he tried to think about what Maria was talking about, he didn't like the look she had on her face when she spoke of Amy. "Who the hell is Amy?" Shadow whispered, "Shadow?" Shadow looked up to see Knuckles his eyes were puffy as if he was crying. "Knuckles! What's wrong?!" Shadow was taken aback from seeing Knuckles like this, Knuckles has always had a short temper but  crying isn't something he'd do. "It's... It's Rouge she got hit.. By a car." Knuckles said balling his hands into a tight fist.