𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒐𝒏𝒆

┏━━━━•❅•°•❈•°•❅•━━━━┓
𝖗𝖊𝖙𝖚𝖗𝖓 𝖙𝖔 𝖍𝖔𝖌𝖜𝖆𝖗𝖙𝖘
┗━━━━•❅•°•❈•°•❅•━━━━┛

23 August 1942

Elena never would've guessed that on that unsuspecting august evening she'd be standing helpless in the darkest part of the orphanage's garden with the caretaker just a few steps away from her. There was a dark glimmer in his eyes that made Elena shiver. Her wand was back in her room and the man had her cornered.

She should've seen it coming really, the man had been giving her extra food for the past few days and had asked her to help with some paperwork. She had refrained from going into his mind, a mistake on her part. She wished Dumbledore had never taught her to control it. Though, she didn't need to read his mind to know what the caretaker was thinking now, his thoughts were reflected clearly in his eyes.

"Come on now, Elena. You know you won't get out of here any time soon." His lips curled up into a sickening grin that made her want to throw up. "Why don't you take this as an opportunity," he reached out a hand, "and stop recoiling."

Elena looked around. She needed to get out of there and get out without magic at that. Her eyes landed on a broken shovel not too far off to her right, she took small steps towards it keeping her eyes still on the man.

"I could put you up in the system, I could get you a job at one of the pubs downtown." He just kept going, his insufferable tone made Elena wish she had her wand. "Now, now, play along."

His eyes found the shovel and before Elena could move he grabbed her hair pulling her head backwards. Elena cried out in pain. Once she got her wand... then this man would see, but until then she was left at his mercy.

As his hand reached for her skirt she felt the grip on her hair loosen and the man fell down before her. She tried to catch her breath, tears falling down her eyes involuntarily. She backed into the stone wall as a standing silhouette approached her. She could hear them ask if she was okay, she just shook her head. The silhouette kicked the man on the ground as his cry filled the now silent night.

"Elena," the voice had started to become clearer, Elena closed her eyes leaning on the wall. It was Tojo Rin, a boy one year older than her that had just arrived at the orphanage. They had never spoken before but she'd seen him around, usually alone. He gently took her arm and pulled her away from the scene. When they got to a place with light he let go of her hand and apologised. Elena's puffy eyes were now visible and his look shifted to one of concern. "Are you okay? I wasn't too late, was I?"

She shook her head. She had never felt so vulnerable. She needed help from a guy she had never even met in order to free herself of the man. If Rin wasn't there... She figured she needed to thank him, nobody at the orphanage had ever even attempted to help her. She had obviously been silent for too long that Rin put his hands on her shoulders and tried to reassure her. "I'll make sure the administration knows about this. He won't get away-"

Elena laughed, she laughed for an abnormally long duration that Rin grew more and more concerned. She stopped abruptly and sighed. "They won't do anything. I am not the first, but I can assure you I will be the last."

"Don't go out alone at night," he sighed. Elena laughed to herself, this muggle was caring too much about a random person he had just met. "Will you be able to go to your room?"

"Yeah, thank you." She gave him a small smile and rushed away.

•❅────✧❅✦❅✧────❅•