Chapter 2: That sounded vaguely ominous

This one does not follow an episode

Alexis sat in the floor of the living room with Madilyn in front of her. Alexis was currently putting Madilyn's hair up as she played with the toy car in front of her.

Madilyn babbles, giggling. Alexis lifted her onto her feet, leaning forward to kiss her cheek. Madilyn laughs, tilting her head and swatting at Alexis.

Madilyn smiles, turning to face Alexis. She held out her hand and on her small palm sat a Cheerio from the bowl Alexis had given her to distract her while she did her hair. "Mama."

"You're sharing food?" Alexis asks, taking the singular piece of cereal. "Well, there's a first time for everything I guess." Alexis popped the cereal in her mouth. "Thanks, Maddie."

"Yeah, well, we know where she gets her sharing habits from." Dean walked into the room, running a hand over his still damp hair.

Alexis playfully rolls her eyes. "I share."

Dean chuckles. "Really?"

"Yes, I do." Alexis stood up, holding out her hand for Madilyn.

The child took her mother's hand, walking with her toward Dean. "Dada." Madilyn lifts one arm, making a grabbing motion with her fingers.

Dean leans down, lifting her into his arms. "You ready to go, munchkin?" Dean asks.

~~~

"You didn't have to take a whole day off to come to the doctors with us." Alexis tells Dean, glancing over at him as he stared at the road ahead.

Dean gently squeezed her thigh where his hand rested. "Sweetheart, she's terrified of doctors now. I've got to go with her."

He was referring to when Madilyn had fallen backwards and hit her head against the corner of the coffee table. She had needed stitches and when Dean and Alexis rushed her to the ER, she'd freaked out.

Alexis sighs, brushing a piece of her now blonde hair from her face. "Yeah, I guess you're right."

"When am I not?" Dean asks jokingly.

"All the time." Alexis replies.

~~~

Madilyn sat on Deans knee as they waited in the small room, waiting for the doctor. Madilyn clutched her stuffed duck in her arms, her eyes darting around the room. Alexis ran her head over Madilyn's head, brushing her hair from her eyes.

Alexis furrows her eyebrows in confusion. "How did you get chocolate on your face, Maddie?" Alexis asks, wiping the child's face with her sleeve. "Dean, when did you give her chocolate?"

"What?" Dean asks. "I had to give her something."

Alexis sighs, looking over Madilyn. "Well, seems you almost got away with it."

"I know. I cleaned her up, but I must've missed a spot." Dean says. "We were so close, Maddie. So close."

Everyone looks up when the door opens. The doctor walks in and Madilyn shifts closer to Dean, whimpering a little.

~~~

"Well, that went better than expected." Alexis says as she and Dean walk toward the car. Madilyn rested her head on Alexis's shoulder. Alexis reached up, brushing a tear from her face. "You're okay, sweet pea."

"Yeah, she only freaked out at the end when she had to get a shot." Dean set his arm around Alexis's shoulder. Madilyn grabs onto his hand, her fingers curling around his.