Chapter 4: Take your dorky ass car and get out of my yard

Exile on Main St. 1

Bobby opened the front door to see Dean and Alexis. "Damn it." He mutters.

"It's good to see you too, Bobby. It's been a while." Dean says. 

"If you two are here, something's wrong." Bobby shakes his head. 

"Hey, Bobby." Alexis smiles. "We kinda need your help." 

"MI casa es su casa." Bobby stepped out of the doorway for the three to enter. "So....?"

"Hey, Bobby." Sam stepped into the doorway. 

"Sam." Bobby nods in greeting.

Dean and Alexis look between the two, questioning.

~~~

"You knew? You knew Sam was alive?" Dean asks, pacing the kitchen. 

"Yeah." Bobby replies. 

"How long?"

"Look--"

"How long?" Dean repeats, louder this time.

"All year." Bobby answers as he and Sam sat at his kitchen table. 

"You gotta be kidding me." Dean mutters, turning around.

"And I'd do it again." Bobby tells him. 

"Why?" Dean held his arms out, turning to face Bobby again.

"Because you and Alex got out, Dean. You walked away from the life and I was so damn grateful, you got no idea." 

Dean walked back toward Bobby. "Do you have any clue what walking away meant for me?"

"Yeah. Your woman and a kid and you two not getting your guts ripped out at age 30 and leaving you one year old an orphan, that's what."

"We just now got on our feet. Hell, this last year has probably been the hardest. I was half out of my head with grief. I drank too much, I had nightmares. I don't even know why Lexi dealt with all of that. I looked everywhere. I collected hundreds of books, trying to find anything to bust you out." Dean tells Sam. 

"You promised you'd leave it alone." Sam states. 

"Of course I didn't leave it alone. Sue me." 

Alexis stood in the doorway quietly the whole time as Madilyn sat in Bobby's living room floor, playing. She crossed her arms over her chest, not knowing how to help the situation. But Dean wasn't wrong. This past year was hard. It took them practically the whole time to get to stable. 

"A damn year?" Dean looks back at Bobby. "You couldn't put me out of my misery."

"Look, I get it wasn't easy, but that's life." Bobby says. "And it's as close to happiness as I've ever seen a hunter get. Ain't like I wanted to lie to you, son. But you two were out, Dean."

"Do we look out to you?" Dean asks. 

~~~

Alexis sat on Bobby's front porch, waiting for Dean. She looked over as he sat down beside her. She lay her head on his shoulder. "Maddie do alright?"

"Yeah, she still really likes Bobby." Dean nods. "I'm sorry, Lex."

"For what?" Alexis asks.

"All this."

"Don't be. It's after both of us. We're in this together, we always have been. It's alright."

"Yeah, but you and Maddie deserve better. I was a wreck most of this past year."