Chapter 38: Do you want him to roll around in the mud?

Frontierland 1

Sunrise, Wyoming

March 5, 1861

Dean stood a good eight feet away from the Pheonix, both men facing each other. Both shoved the side of their long coats aside, hands wrapping around the guns holstered at their side. The sheriff's star seemed duller than it had before when Dean had first clipped it onto his coat. He narrowed his eyes under his cowboy at, glaring at the Pheonix. 

Dean glanced to the clock right as it began to toll. Both men pulled their guns, the sound of a shot ringing in the air.

48 Hours Earlier

(And 150 Years Later)

"Look, it's here somewhere. Help me move this." Sam says. Bobby helped Sam push the desk away. Sam knelt to the floor, pulling a nail up from the floorboard, he then lifted said floorboard up.

Dean shined his flashlight toward the hole in the floor.

"Well, I'll be damned." Bobby mutters. One by one, Dean, Alexis and Bobby follow Sam down into the room below the main floor of the old house. Sam cut on the lights as he looked around. 

The room had a long table surrounded by chairs in the middle. Desks and shelves of books line the walls and papers were tacked to bulletin boards. 

"Welcome to the Campbell family library." Sam tells them. Dean walked to one wall filled with photos from hundred and hundreds of years ago. 

"So Samuel collected all this stuff, huh?" Dean asked. 

"Apparently." Sam shrugs.  

"Well." Dean began. "Alright, well, what are we looking for?"

"Well, anything that'll put a run in the Octomom's stockings." Bobby answered. "Pick a row." 

Madilyn climbed into a chair as the four hunters all grabbed a book. And for hours and hours, the hunters read every book in there. Book after book, they tried to find about Eve. 

"Bingo." Bobby says.

~~~

"Either of you jokers ever heard anything about a phoenix?"  Bobby asked as they four hunters sat at the table, each reading a book. 

"River, Joaquin or the giant flaming bird?" Dean asked as Sam shook his head. 

"It says here that the ashes of a phoenix can burn the mother." Bobby explains. 

"The mother?" Sam asks. 

"Great. Where do we get one?" Dean question.

"You got me. I thought it was myth." Bobby shrugs. 

"Alright, great. Well, let's see if we can find something out about a phoenix." Sam says.

"Yay, more books." Alexis sighs. "It's not like I can think of better things to do." She mutters, glancing at Dean. 

~~~

After what felt like another eternity of reading, Dean walked back to the table, book in hand. "Guys, guy, guys, guys, check it out." He sat down. "'March 5th, 1861. Sunrise, Wyoming. Gun killed a phoenix today. Left a pile of smoldering ash.'" He tapped his finger against the book. 

"Really? Whose gun?" Sam asked. 

"Colt's." Dean smirked. 

Alexis shifted in her seat, taking her bottom lip between her teeth.