Chapter 44: Am I going crazy?

Let It Bleed 2

Dean was pacing the hospital, waiting for some to tell him anything. He was desperate, terrified. 

"Mr. Winchester?" A voice asks.

Dean spun around. "Yeah?" His heart dropped when he seen the blood covering the doctor's hands. "Is she--? Are they--?"

"Sir, you wife, she might not make it." The doctor tells him softly. "We had to do an emergency C-section; your two daughters are in the NICU now. We weren't sure if we were going to be able to stabilize your wife. She was dying, quickly. She came to very briefly, saying that no matter what save the babies first. We lost her for a second but were able to revive her." 

"She might not make it through the night." The doctor continued. "The blade barely missed her heart. Her body's been through a lot of trauma. Though, I must say, sir, she's fighting very hard."

"What--what about my kids?" Dean asked, his heart breaking with each word leaving the doctors mouth.

"They. . .should be fine. We can't be sure at the moment. Being born at thirty-five weeks, there are a few risks, but we're keeping a close eye on them. Would you like to see them?"

~~~

Dean stood in front of the two incubators, staring down at his two newborn daughters. They were so small. The nurse that led him here said that they were a four pounds, maybe a little less. Which, for twins, wasn't too bad.

How could he let this happen? Dean was torn. He wasn't sure what to do. A part of him thought that the second he was sure they were alright, he should disappear. But then what if that didn't work? Demons and monsters wanted to get to Alexis as much as they did him. Plus, there were hunters who hated her. 

What if the second he took his eyes off of them again, something got them? He'd promised Alexis, he'd never leave her again. It was his job to protect their children and her. But didn't he fail? Was he even doing his job right? 

Dean looked up, noticing Cass standing behind him. "What do you want?"

"Dean, listen." Cass stepped forward, taking his eyes away from the two babies.

"What do you want me to say?" Dean asked. "Lexi will be dead by midnight. I have no clue if my babies are gonna make it through the next day. Maddie's scarred for life." 

"I'm sorry."

"I don't care." Dean says. "It's too little, too late."

"Okay." Cass nods. "Well, regardless, I didn't come for you."

"Meaning?" Dean asked.

Castiel disappeared for a few moments before reappearing. "Alexis should be fine now. She'll wake soon. They should let you see her." He pauses. "Dean, I said I'm sorry and I meant it." 

"Thank you." Dean says, glancing at Cass with tears in his eyes. "I wished this changed anything." 

"I know. So do I." Cass glances down at the babies. "I think they'll be alright. All else aside, I just wanted to fix what I could." 

"There's one more thing you could do for me." 

~~~

Dean walked into Alexis's hospital room to see her awake. He'd been in here when she was asleep. He just sat there, taking her in one last time, her soft hand in his. He'd also, in a way at least, bid Madilyn goodbye before Cass wiped her memory. Dean stared at the small stuffed duck with the bandanna still tied around it in her arms for a moment before looking at her.