Chapter 42: Maybe not all demons like to wallow in dirt and blood all the time

The Man Who Would Be King 1

Dean drove through the night, eyes on the road ahead as Alexis sat as close as possible, head on his shoulder as she began to doze off. Madilyn was asleep in the backseat. 

"Hello, Dean." Cass appeared in the passenger seat.

Dean jumped slightly, turning to look. He hit his hand gently against the steering wheel.

"Are you alright?" Cass asks.

"Yeah, I'm. . .I'm fine. How are you?" Dean replied. 

"Just wanted to check in."

"So any word on Satan Jr. being alive?" 

"I'm looking, believe me." Cass shook his head. "I just don't understand how Crowley could've tricked me." 

"Well, he's a tricky son of a bitch, that's how." Dean shrugged as Alexis lifted her head off of his shoulder. "Doesn't matter. But if he is up and kicking, then what does matter is finding him, ripping his head off and shoving it up his ass."

"What about you?" Cass asks. "Have you found anything?"

"No." Alexis answered. 

"Nothing yet." Dean shook his head. 

"Where's Sam?" Cass questions.

"He's keeping busy." Dean answered. "He's tracking a Djinn in Omaha as we speak. I'm heading out there right now to meet up with him."

"I'd come if I could."

"Yeah. No, I get it. No worries." Dean nodded. "But, Cass, you'll call, right? If you get into real trouble?"

Cass didn't answer, making Dean nod again as he disappeared. Dean sighs. 

"Everything's going to be fine, Dean." Alexis reassured him as she moved closer, resting her head back on his shoulder. 

~~~

Dean and Alexis walk into Bobby's living room where a demon was chained up. Sam and Bobby stood before him. 

"I'm gonna go put her to bed." Alexis carried Madilyn up the stairs and placed the sleeping child in the bed before returning back to the living room.

"Redd? Where's Crowley?" Bobby asked as Alexis walked into the kitchen where Sam and Dean now stood. "No? Nothing? Oh, okay, then. Hey, hang on in there a bit." Bobby plunged the knife into his leg. 

The demon screamed. 

"Shut it. There's a toddler sleeping." Alexis called out. 

"So what'd you tell him?" Sam asked Dean.

"Nothing. Just relax." Dean crossed his arms over his chest. 

"What's the hubbub?" Bobby stopped beside Sam and Alexis. 

"Saw Cass. He popped in on me about two hours back." Dean explains. 

"What'd you tell him?"

"We told him I'm just now eight months pregnant and can't control my bladder." Alexis says sarcastically, though the statement was somewhat true. "Because he was just dying to know."

"Nothing. Told him we were on some crap monster hunt." Dean answered. "He doesn't know that we're getting close to Crowley." Dean shook his head. "You know, he's our friend. And we're lying to him through our teeth."

"Dean--" Sam began.

"So he burned the wrong bones. So Crowley tricked him."

"He's an angel." Bobby states.