Chapter 13: What are we summoning with a dead cat?

You Can't Handle The Truth 2

After a whole car ride of Alexis rambling about things she didn't really want to, Dean parked the car and she turned to him. "Dean, sometimes I'm scared that you're not on board with. . .the life we have together. Like, you're great with Maddie and all. And I see that you love her and me, but now that we're back in hunting, I'm not so sure you're completely okay with having another kid."

"And that's fine and all, but--" Alexis pauses. "But I'd like to know. You know? And I get it. Like, we agreed to put having more kids on pause, then bam, I'm pregnant. Like, you kinda slipped one past and here we are. But I'm not sure you want this life. I don't know if it's that in general or if it's with me. Or if it's since Sams back, because that changed things. And I get it, he's your brother, but. . .I don't know. I just want to know what you want."

Dean stared at her for a few seconds, blinking. "Lexi, I--I want a life with you. And I love you, I do. And I love Maddie. You're right. Me and Sam, we have our issues, but that doesn't change anything with you."

"I just--" Alexis sighs. "Sometimes I feel like you're not fully here. You drink a lot, and I know it's because of the shit you're going through, but I. . .I don't know. I feel like I can't help you and I desperately want to. I love you and I want you to be happy."

"I know." Dean whispers, pulling her into his arms and pressing a kiss to her head. "I know."

"Can you, Dean? Be happy? With all this? Me? Hunting? Sam? I don't know how to help you."

~~~

Sam walked out of a room and into the hall as Dean and Alexis walked up the stairs. "Hey, where you been? I found something." Sam tells them.

"It can wait. We gotta talk." Dean tells him as Madilyn held onto his finger, stopping beside him.

"Yeah. What's up?" Sam asks.

"There's a few things I wanna ask you." Dean begins as Sam heads downstairs as he and Alexis follow. "And you're gonna tell me the truth."

"Yeah, Dean. Of course. What are you talking about? Whoa." Sam stopped, turning to face them. "Are you saying you're. . .?"

"Up, Daddy." Madilyn tugged on Deans sleeve, raising her hands above her head.

Dean picked Madilyn up. "I asked for the truth. . .and, you know what, I'm getting it. So, like I said, I have a few questions for you." Dean sighs. "When that vamp attacked me, why did you just stand there?"

Sam sighs, not answering right away. "I-I didn't." He pauses. "I froze."

Alexis glances between the brothers as Dean asks, "You froze?" Dean looks at Sam. "You've been Terminator since you got back."

"I don't know, shock." Sam lets out a breath. "And then it was too late. I feel terrible about it, believe me. Dean, I can't lie here. And do you really think I would let something like that happen on purpose? You're my brother. How--How could you--?"

"Okay." Dean says, nodding his head. "Okay. Sorry. I-I thought I saw something. I guess I was wrong. It's just been a really, really bad day." Dean ran a hand over his face.

"Hey, it's okay." Sam tells him. He set a hand on Deans shoulder. "I got your back, alright? I always have."

"Thanks, Sammy."

~~~

"So this was the chick's pet?" Dean walked toward the table, cat skull in hand as he sat down.

"Well, she was obsessed." Sam sighs.

"I think you mean crazy." Dean corrects.

"Alright, so," Sam grabbed the skull from Dean. "Cat skull, uh, grains of paradise seed, devils shoestring. Mix 'em well, you got yourself a summoning spell."