Chapter 4

"You should have died when I killed you."

—John le Carré

JENNIE

"What are you hiding from me, Lisa?" I asked, as we danced in the middle of the ballroom.

She pulled me closer to her. "I could say the same for you, love."

"True, but I'm discussing those secrets with family, not outsiders." I searched around for the blonde she had spoken to, but she had disappeared and no one else seemed to notice or even care. She wasn't somebody with title or fame, but either had or knew something of worth to be able to speak with Lisa privately.

"Are you jealous, love?" She squeezed my ass. "Because you shouldn't be. I love you and you alone."

"That's the fifth 'I love you' you've said tonight. I'm really going to kill you once I find out what you did, aren't I?" I said calmly. I would remain so until she gave me a reason not to be. I truly wanted to beat the shit out of her until she told me, but the sick fuck would more than likely enjoy it.

She sighed. "You, love, may just kill me when I tell you."

"Lisa..."

She kissed me so hard and passionately, she all but lifted me from the ground.

"After the gala," she whispered as her eyes begged me to drop it, "okay? After the gala?"

I didn't like this. I didn't like this at all. Whatever she was hiding, that made her act like this—like I was a time bomb waiting to explode—was probably going to make me do just that.

"Do you ever wish you could be like them?" she asked, nodding at the political interns helping with Senators Myoi's campaign. They were all around the same age, if not older, than us.

"You mean do I wish my life was filled with nothing but exams and school, getting a degree I won't use for a job I hate, and student loans I can't pay off? A life of binge drinking, and horrible sex that I think is good because of the binge drinking?" I looked them over. "No, I don't wish I could be them. It sucks to be them. That's why they're here, hoping that if they stand close enough, and say the right things, they have a chance to escape their shitty lives."

"Don't hold back, love, it's not in your nature." She laughed, spinning me around before bringing me back to her. "You've never wished your life was simple?"

"It is. I get what I want and if you stand in my way, I will wipe you off the face of the earth, then go after everyone who shares your DNA. Simple." I smiled.

She smirked as well. "Now you're just trying to turn me on."

"You're always waiting to be turned on." Proving my point, I pushed my breasts up against her and I could feel her hardening against my stomach.

"Did you get a smaller gun?" I asked, trying to feel around for it.

She moaned as I grabbed her through her pants, squeezing tightly before pulling away. I was having so much fun toying with her tonight. Her eyes glared at me as I turned to Marco and Evelyn cutting into their dance.

"Evelyn, do you mind if I cut in? Lisa wishes to dance with you."

Evelyn eyed me carefully, as if she could read my damn mind. The woman had her own set of superpowers, I swore.

Shaking her head at me, she kissed Marco before turning to Lisa who glared at me evilly.

"Watch out, Marco has two left feet. It's taken me years to work around it." She winked before taking her daughter's hands.