Chapter 18

"The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."

—Gloria Steinem

BAMBAM

Walking into Lisa and Jen's office, I tried my best not to groan at the phone call awaiting me. All of Chicago was basically scared shitless while the rest of the damn country was in mourning. Of all the places the President could have been gunned down, why the fuck did it have to be here?

Pulling off my tie, I dropped it onto the desk before I took a seat. It was odd looking at this office—my father's and now Lisa's—from this position. I had never noticed how cluttered and dark the study was. Everything here, from the cherry wood desk, to the bookshelves that covered both walls, and even the small bar stocked with Lisa's Brandy along with Jen's wine, was vintage. The dark leather chair my ass now graced was brought in from Korea as if my mother knew years ago an Korean would be siting in it.

"Power looks good on you, baby," Mina called from the doors, pulling me out of my own thoughts.

I leaned back to stare at her. "Really? Do I have my grey hairs yet?"

"Bambam, they've only been gone for a week," she replied, walking over to me and seductively playing with the pearls around her neck. She looked dangerous in black; it seemed to bounce up into her blue eyes and brew storms.

"Only a week and the President gets wacked in our city, meaning we can't operate with the feds tearing this city apart for the killer." Which meant moving our products just got harder. The bosses were going to be pissed.

"Babe, President Monroe is not the first President to be assassinated," she supposed, stepping behind me in order to rub my shoulders. "I'm sure the feds already have a suspect. Jen and Lisa—"

She was cut off the moment the phone rang and I knew who it was.

"Speak of the devil," she said.

I picked up the phone. "Hell—"

"Bambam, could you please explain what you're doing?" Jen's voice rang out softly through the phone. So soft in fact I wasn't sure if I should be worried or rearranging my will again.

"Boss, Chicago is on lock down. There's a massive manhunt going on, and every hour more and more police officers are coming in all throughout the country." I waited for her to speak, but she said nothing.

"It isn't wise to move product right now. The shipment through the dock has been taken care of already, but there is no way we can get them out to the dealers right now..."

"What about Senator Myoi?" she asked. Again, still calm; still freaking me out.

Glancing to Mina who only shrugged, I told her the truth, "As far as I know, Jessica's working on another statement, but he's fine."

"He's fine?" she repeated before taking a deep breath.

Oh shit.

"He's shouldn't be fucking fine!" she snapped. "He is nowhere close to fine! Why? Because as far as I know, people are sympathetic, brainless, parasites who jump from one host to another!"

"Um, what?" What in the hell was she talking about?

"You idiot. Turn on the news!"

Turning on the computer, Mina went to a live stream of the First Lady.

She looked tired but energized; odd seeing as how her husband was just murdered in front of the whole nation, if not world.

"My fellow Americans, as hard as it is to stand here in front of you, I have no other choice. My husband was a strong man, who would never bend to the will of terrorists and criminals. I believe it is truly because of him that I have found the will to say to the man who pulled that trigger: you will not win. You will not silence the greatest democracy on the planet with a bullet. For in killing my husband, you have awakened the beast in me. I will run for President. I will take my husband's torch to the finish line, and you will not silence America!"

"Oh, Fuck," Mina and I said together.

"My thoughts exactly," Jen stated. "There you have it. The speech heard around the world! Do you want to know who she looks like? Jackie O. Do you want know which first lady all of American loves so dearly? Jackie fucking O. So how fine are you fucking feeling right now, Bambam? Because on the scale of pissed to motherfucking enraged, I'm ready to fucking explode!"

Pulling the phone from my ear, I tried my best not to flinch. "Jen, what do you want me to do?"

"Get off your fat ass and work or so help me—I don't care what you do. I would suggest during Myoi's pretty speech to put two bullets in him and even the fucking playing field again—"

Before I could stop her Mina grabbed the phone from me.

"Have you lost your fucking mind? That's my father!"

"I'll buy you a new one," I heard Jennie say. "Now get the fuck off the phone, you're wasting my bloody minutes."

"Boss," I said, grabbing the phone before Mina smashed it against the wall. "I'm..."

"Did Lisa and I not tell you how important it was for us to secure the presidency, Bambam? It could be Mrs. Myoi as President or you could aim for Myoi's legs. All I know is, if you have a better idea, start working on it, because if I have to jump my pregnant ass across the pond to do it myself, I sure as fucking hell will. As for the drugs, make them move. Sell them at half the damn price if you have to. But the longer we sit on it, the weaker we look and the more money we lose. Junkies don't care that the President is dead, they just want their fix and what the customer wants, they get!" And with that she was gone.

"She's a monster!" Mina screamed as I hung up, grabbing my tie and walking towards the door.

"Bambam! What are you going to do?"

I didn't answer her because in all honesty I wasn't even sure. So much for having power.