Chapter 25

"Life, although it may only be an accumulation of anguish, is dear to me, and I will defend it."

—Mary Shelley

LISA

"This is breaking and unprecedented news. Only hours after Senator Myoi's all-white charity ball and Jennie Manoban's hospitalization, First Lady Julie Monroe was arrested and charged with treason and the murder of her husband, President Monroe. Thus, making her the first woman to ever have a hand in the assassination of a U.S. President. The FBI claims they were given an anonymous tip with undoubtable proof of her involvement. First Lady Julie Monroe only days ago vowed to run in her husband's place for this year's coming election. This is all very confusing and honestly unfathomable. But stay tuned. We hope to keep you updated on..."

"Are you eating my Jell-O?" Jen whispered, trying to open her eyes.

Staring at the cup in my hands, I frowned. "I thought you hated Jell-O."

"You thought wrong, now hand it over." She reached forward, taking the cup from my hands and eating a spoonful.

"How are you feeling?" I asked.

"Like I've been in bed too long...and hungry," she muttered, scarfing down the little that was left in the small cup.

"Sixteen hours of sleep will do that to you." Reaching over to her bedside, I grabbed the second cup I had conned the nurse out of from her tray. She watched my hand before taking my Jell-O once again. "Sixteen hours? Why in the hell would you let me sleep that long?"

"You haven't had a good sleep in days. Besides, there was nothing for you to do anyway." If I had woken her, she would have killed me.

She stopped mid-bite, glaring at me. "In our line of work there is always something to do. So the real question is, what have you been doing?"

All I could do was roll my eyes at her and turn up the volume of the television.

"People all over the world are still reeling over the arrest of First Lady Julie Monroe. It was only hours ago that the FBI announced that the First Lady was arrested in connection with President Monroe's murder. From what we've been told, it took only one anonymous tip to unravel this national tragedy..."

"You tipped them off?" she asked.

"No, I tipped off your mole. He deserves a raise, don't you think? Catching the President's killer is a huge step up," I replied, dialing Nickhun for what had to be the ninth time.

"That's all you did today?" She sighed, staring at the now empty Jell-O cup.

"Really?" I smirked, shaking my head. "You're not killing my high today, wife. I'm having a son and about to get the White House."

She laughed, as she rubbed her stomach fondly. "First, I'm sorry, it's the hunger speaking. Second, we're having a son."

Sitting next to her, I kissed her forehead, taking her hands into mine.

"We're having a son," I whispered down to her.

"Are you nervous?" she whispered back.

"I think I will be at some point. But like I said, I'm numb with happiness. Are you nervous?"

"Yeah." Leaning back against the pillow, she took a deep breath.

"You're going to be a great mother. So, what do you want to eat?" I asked, dialing Adriana.

She grinned widely. "French Onion Soup with stuffed Artichokes on the side and a large chocolate milkshake?"

"Is that all?"