Chapter 37

"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under it."

—William Shakespeare

MINA

There were certain guidelines that all politicians and their families followed. It only had three basic rules:

First: at some point there will be a chance to get ahead. Take it and never look back.

Second: people will talk, make sure you control what they talk about.

Third: always be willing to cut off the head of your enemies, especially when they're on their knees.

"Bambam," I whispered, walking up behind him.

He didn't look at me, he didn't even speak. He just drank, as he stared at the sun as it set over the tree line in his brother's office.

"Adriana committed suicide. Lisa went to see her, and she just jumped. No one knows who she is though, so she only got a few minutes of air time before they went back to covering Saint Jennie—"

"Mina, our sister-in-law was kidnapped," Bambam said. "You can hold your vitriol for when she comes back."

"Bambam, the shit has already hit the fan and Lisa is too blind to see it." When would he start being the man I knew he was? "They are calling in the fucking FBI. In a few hours, some of the baddest bosses are meeting to bring down this family. What were you saying about Roy? He's not paying full price anymore? Bambam, step up. If not for me, then for Lisa. She needs you to have her back. We don't know who to trust, but we're family, and until Jen gets back, we can't just wait to be moved around like chess pieces. Get in the chair and lead, or we will be pushed off the cliff."

I could see it in his eyes: that willingness to die for his sister. But there was also that hunger to lead, to be the Ceann Na Conairte.

"How did you know about the meeting?"

"Nobody pays any attention to Malibu Barbie," I said, sitting on the desk. "The question is, what are you going to do?"

He eyed me carefully.

"Bambam."

"I'll let him deal with that. The very first thing we need to worry about is keeping Roy and the rest of the small fish in line. The election is in a few days. How's your father doing in the polls?"

And just like that, he was a whole different person.

"His win will cast a small shadow on Jennie. We're thinking if she isn't found by then, we will make an announcement."

"Hopefully, she'll be back by then. This much attention on the family isn't good."

"Hopefully." Or not. "Do you have a distraction in mind?"

He sat down, relaxing into his chair. "No. But I'm forming one."

"Well," I jumped off the desk, "I'll leave you to your thoughts. If you need me, I'm going to go spend time with Ethan."

"How is he?"

"Perfect in every way. He doesn't know anything is wrong, and I'm going to make sure he doesn't miss any maternal love."

He kissed my palm. "Don't get too attached, baby. Lisa's going to keep him all to herself, and when Jen gets back, I wouldn't be surprised if they took off for a while after all this shit."

No. No one was taking Ethan from me. He was happy and I was going to make sure he stayed that way.

"Of course. Now get to work. I'm serious. I'm sure we're bleeding money. At least this is one thing Lisa will be happy to get off her plate." Kissing his cheek, I left him. Stepping out of the office, I called the only person I knew would take the bait...after all, he'd taken it once before.

"Hello, Officer Scooter speaking."

"Lisa Manoban killed her wife."

"I'm sorry, what? Hello? How did you know? Hello? Please, repeat that?"

Hanging up, I pulled the sim card out of the phone before snapping it in half. I walked into the blue and green nursery, and there he was, in his little white crib reaching up for the star mobile.

"There's my boy. Who woke you up, huh?"

He spit up bubbles, as he looked up at me. It was amazing how much love was in his tiny body. Lifting him into my arms, I found myself drifting towards the window. Lisa had been so paranoid he had placed bars on it.

"Your daddy is crazy. But don't worry, she's going to go away for a while, I promise."

Bambam was going to be Ceann Na Conairte.

My father was going to be president.

And I would take care of him.

Of all of them.