Epilogue

"To betray you must first belong."

—Harold Kim Philby

MINA

The cheers made the stage we stood upon rumble with such force that I had to hold onto Bambam. I squinted against the flashing lights in order to see straight.

"Thank you, America!" my father yelled, riling them up even more. "I am proud, honored, and so blessed to be your President. It's been a long and strange journey, but together we will change America for the better. We will make this country—that city on the hill—great once again."

"How much longer is this going to take?" Bambam whispered as he leaned into me. I wanted to roll my eyes.

Where did he have to go?

"Bambam, the judge denied bail. Your sister is going to spend the next five months in jail before the trial. Right now, this is a win. A bloody good win when we so badly need one, so smile for the damn cameras." Leaning away for him, I took a small step forward, waving and smiling at all the people who came to see us. The Myoi's, the first daughter of the fucking President of the United States, we did it.

How big is my crown now?

"I am smiling, dear. But I will not just forget about my sister. That judge needs to go—"

"Can we talk about this later?" Why couldn't he just let it go? Lisa wouldn't give two shits if she were arrested. The judge was a hard ass and I loved her for it. She wanted Lisa behind bars as much as I did. Now if Evelyn would just let go of Ethan, everything would be perfect.

I would handle that later.

When my father took a step back, I applauded even louder, wrapping my arm around Bambam's as we were led backstage where Jessica stood, suited up with her head set and clapping like a seal. Everyone around her stopped to take pictures of my father.

"Mr. President."

My father is the President.

"Mina, I've got to go," Bambam said, pulling away as everyone focused in on my father.

Grabbing him by the arm, I pulled him into the hall, but it was just as full of people as inside. He didn't even blink as he broke free of me before heading over to the elevator.

"Bambam," I hissed, stomping over to him.

He shook his head as he waited for the golden doors to open. It was the only place we were going to get a damn moment, so I just bit my lip tapping my heels on the marble until we stepped in.

"I don't want to hear it, Mina."

"Bambam, my father just won the election! And you want to go back into your basement with Nickhun and Marco trying to figure out how to save that idiot!"

"MINA!" His hand hovered over my neck as he breathed through his nose and tried to hold himself back.

"Bambam, she's not even trying! It's like she wants to be in that cell. Tell me when are you going to stop wasting your time, and mine, on a sister who doesn't give a shit!"

He shook his head, and pulled off his red tie before he stepped out of the metal box on the ground floor where his black Mercedes was already waiting for him.

"Bambam, please stay, or at least bring Ethan so we can all take photos."

"I'll see you at home, Mina," he said as Hanbin held open the door for him. "But don't forget it was my idiot sister who took your useless father and made him President."

The door shut. Hanbin's eyes burned into mine before he got into the driver's seat.

"UGH!" I screamed as his tail lights faded out of the garage. It made me want to take off my Prada pumps and throw them after him.

Just as I was turning around, a black Lincoln came up slowly. Stepping forward, I waited until I could see my reflection in the tinted glass. The door opened, waiting for me to take a seat. Taking a deep breath, I slid in. "So I finally get to meet the face behind the voice."

He turned to me. His graying hair, deep brown eyes and crisp suit all looked so familiar to me. He sat there drinking from his crystal cup, completely relaxed and amused.

"Mina Myoi Manoban. It's a pleasure to finally meet you." He gave me his hand, but I didn't shake. I just waited.

"The moment Lisa was arrested, you popped up. And I think you're the one who got the judge to sign off declining her bail. So, who are you? I've seen your face before...are you a rival boss?"

He smiled, shaking his head and staring out the window. "No, I'm not a rival boss. Or at least not a boss of the Mafia."

"Then who are you?"

Reaching in his pocket, he pulled out a small card and handed it to me.

Avian Doers, director of the FBI.

Shit.

"I want a deal."

"Flip it over, my dear," he said, leaning back.

It felt like it had taken me longer than it should have to flip the business card over with my red nails. But when I did, I froze. He had written his true name on it.

"You're Ivan," I whispered.

"Now, let's talk about a different type of deal."