~ "I need help." ~

Jake shoves Milo gently through the front door and turns around to lock the door. Milo immediately takes his sweatshirt off and hangs it up before heading straight toward his room.
"Jake is that you?" Ms. Sterling calls from the kitchen.
"Oh you're home early, Mom! Yeah it's us!" Jake calls back before walking toward the kitchen.
Jake enters the kitchen and hugs his mom.
"Jake, can we talk?" Ms. Sterling asks.
"Of course, what is it? Don't tell me I failed another exam-" Jake sits down at the dining table.
"No, no. Not as far as I'm aware. You better not have, you silly goose. Anyway," Ms. Sterling pauses.
"Hm?" Jake rests his elbow on the table.
"Jake, I lost my job today. They said I just wasn't putting in enough time."
"That isn't true! We barely see you because of you putting in so much time!" Jake exclaims.
"I know, I know. But they fired me. I'm looking for a new job already, but I'm going to need your help for a little while." Ms. Sterling sighs.
"Sure, anything. What is it?" Jake says.
"Take care of your brother. Take him to school with you if you have to. I can't hire a babysitter right now and I'll be out and about for a couple weeks finding a job. I'd hate to make him waste his break finding a job with mom. Atleast if he's with you he'll have some fun,"
"Of course. That was kinda already something I do when you aren't home," Jake chuckles a little, trying to lighten the mood.
"If worst comes to worst, you'll have to get a part-time job."
"Mom I can't do that. I have music club, school, I have to watch Milo- and, and-"
"I know, Jake. I know. I don't want to have to do that. But if I can't get a job, or a good paying one, I either send you and your brother off to live with your father or you get a job." Ms. Sterling looks like she's about to cry.
"...I'll... uh- I'll see you tomorrow, Mom." Jake says as he gets up from the table.
"Please Jake-''
"It's fine, Ma." Jake starts toward the stairs.
"By the way, your pocket knife is back in your room. It's not for cutting your skin, Jake. Just... please, think on this, kiddo."
Jake walks toward his room. When he gets there he grabs the pocket knife off of his dresser and tosses it into the back of his closet. Then he pulls his phone out and flops onto his bed, he let's out a long sigh.
"Who can I talk to this about...?" Jake mutters. 'No one. Don't bother anyone with your own family problems.' Jake thinks, berating himself mentally.

**At school the next morning**

Jake groans as he drags himself to his last class before lunch. He's ended up having to take Milo to school with him because all of the babysitters wanted more than ten bucks an hour. Milo was rambling on about some video game. Luckily,for Jake and his mom, the principal was okay with it under the given circumstances.
"-and then the bad guy dies and is reincarnated into a flower-" Milo continues to ramble.
"Milo, you lost me twenty minutes ago when you said 'there's this game'." Jake chides, opening the classroom door.
"But-" Milo starts.
"Nope. Shush now. This class is important. You can play Roblox on my phone or something while I do my test." Jake unlocks his phone and hands his phone over to Milo. "Rules are stay out of my photos, stay out of my messages, and don't touch my lyrics app."
"Ay-ay, cap'n!" Milo says, taking the phone and going to sit at the back counter.
Jake goes to his desk next to Hailey's.
"Who's the kid?'' Hailey asks.
"My little brother. Had to bring him to school with me today. Couldn't afford a babysitter out of pocket." Jake grumbles.
The teacher around their worksheets and explains some things before letting them work.

After class, Milo was staring at Jake with a grin, but he was silent as he handed Jake his phone back.
Jake ignores the odd behavior and starts walking toward the Music Club's room.
Jake sits Milo in the corner and says, "please, when we're making music be quiet."
"Of course, you gay asshole," Milo says,smiling.
"I'm so going smack you."
"You wouldn't dare."
"I would."
And Jake leaves it at that, walking toward Milly to talk to her.