Chapter One

Xavier Thorpe.

He wasn't much of an optimist. He never tried to make light in bad situations. He lived off the truth, knowledge, rather than hopes and dreams.

But he hadn't always been like that. 

He used to get excited, happy, hopeful. He used to dream, do art, enjoy his youth. 

Not anymore. Maryland seemed to have given him a different aspect at life. Sure, it was a wonderful place to live. Food was fantastic. But ever since he moved to his cold, quiet home on the mountains, he never saw much of anyone. 

Not that he wanted to. 

His cabin-like home consisted of 3 bedrooms (Why he had three, he didn't know, he never used them anyways.) A singular bathroom, a small kitchen area the connected to the living room. The wooden log designed walls screamed holidays and family.

Only Xavier had no family. 

No, they didn't die. At least, not recently anyways. His mother having passed when he was little, he had grown up with his father. Or should he say, his fathers hired nannies. 

Xavier didn't talk to him anymore.

Xavier was never married, and honestly didn't plan on getting married anytime soon. He was still quite young, only in his mid 20's. To early to settle down. He wasn't even dating anyone. His taste for women had been ruined by a girl. 

A girl in high school.

A girl who's name Xavier refused to even think about.

Xavier didn't have a lot of money. He babysat for a while, did small work for, such as raking lawns or washing cars, racking up enough cash to afford nice clothes to start doing job interviews. 

Sure his dad is loaded, but they don't talk anymore.

Xavier managed to get a small office job off the side of a grocery store. Not his dream job, but it payed well. 

Xavier never imagined working in a small office off the side of a grocery store. He had planned on being an artist. His teenage hobby.

But his muse left. 

His muse was a girl.

A girl in high school.

A girl who's name Xavier refused to even think about.

So his art never really took off. Sure, he had made a couple thousand dollars off a couple paintings. Never enough to make a living off of. 

So he lived a calm life. A repetitive schedule. Every day a repeat of the one before, a prediction of the next.

Sleep.

Wake up.

Go to work.

Eat.

Sleep.

Repeat.

His life was easy and simple. Just how he liked it. He wouldn't mind doing this forever. It was like therapy without the nagging professional trying to become part of your life. 

He didn't use his phone, as it sat on his desks collecting dust. He never really had a reason to, he didn't have anyone to text. He only owned it for work related stuff. And even then, hardly ever needed it.

He gazed longingly at the young people his age, enjoying their lives, spending time with family, waking up early hours to walk the dog. Xavier barely had the motivation to shave, let alone walk a dog. 

He wished he could have that life. But his life was fine as it was. A repeating schedule. He had always preferred schedules to randomized activities.  

~~~

Xavier sat on his porch in a wooden rocking chair, looking twice his age, sipping a small cup of coffee. 

"Mr. Thorpe! Mr. Thorpe!" Cried a small child. Xavier had become very close with the children in his area, his young mind always exciting the children. Xavier smiled warmly as three children came bounding up his front lawn. 

"Guess what!" The youngest said, eyes wild with joy and excitement. 

"Hmmm...Did a huge monkey chase you here?" Xavier questioned.

"No!" Cried all three of them in chorus, eyes still misty with happiness.

"Did you build a snowman and it came to life?"

"That's frosty, silly!" Said the middle child, patting Xavier's shoulder. Xavier fake frowned.

"Did a piece of the sky fall?"

"No silly!" Said the oldest. "The movie theater opened, and they are showing a new movie called 'Mr. Buckles'!" 

Xavier pretended to look shocked. "Well then, there only remains one option! We must go see it!" 

The children giggled. "We already have tickets, you just have to get yours!" 

Xavier smiled and ruffled the shortest boys blonde curls. "Alright."

"Well, our parents are waiting for us! See ya!" Cried the oldest, bounding back down his yard. 

Xavier waved and watched as the kids disappeared into the misty snow covered grounds. 

~~~