Chapter Nine

"Enid, I said no!" 

Enid practically collapsed backwards onto the small, red couch. "C'mon Wednesday! It'll be fun!"

"A trip to Maryland? Fun?" Wednesday said, looking skeptical. "What the fuck do you even do there?"

Enid groaned. Wednesday didn't know Xavier lived in Maryland, and she sure as hell wasn't going to tell her that. "Wednesday, anything is better than you sitting in your goddamned room all day, mourning or doing whatever the fuck your doing in there. Besides, it's a road trip, We'll barely spend anytime in Maryland before driving back." Because Xavier's probably gonna kick them out, but she failed to mention that detail.

"I don't want to go." Wednesday hissed, flipping Enid off. 

"Pack your bags bestie!" Enid cried as she bounded out of the room. 

~~~

Wednesday grabbed an old, black suitcase out of her closet. It hadn't been used in a while, that was for sure, and the edges of the material were fraying. The large "WA" printed in gold still shimmered, but slightly more dull than the last time she'd used it. 

She groaned and opened it. After she dusted the inside, and made sure no bugs were hiding in the pockets (for Enid's sake.) she began going through her drawers, looking for clothes she could bring. 

Throwing a black hoodie into the suitcase, Wednesday sighed. Why was Enid doing this? Was this all a big thing to get Wednesday out of the house? She tossed a pair of knee high striped socks into the luggage. 

Wednesday threw some black jeans into her suitcase as she heard a knock on the door. 

"Come in."

The door opened and Enid walked inside. "Wednesday, I know you didn't want to do this, but I'm really worried about your mental health and I think you need to get out of the house."

"What the fuck is up with you and my health! First Xavier, now you?! I don't care! You shouldn't either! Just fucking let it be!" 

Wednesday tossed a black dress and a white collared shirt into her suitcase. 

"Wednesday, I swear, I'm just trying to help."

Wednesday shook her head. "Enid, I don't need your help."

"Well, clearly you can't deal with this on your own, and first step is you have to leave the house." 

"Where'd you hear that?" Wednesday snorted, rolling her eyes.

"When was the last time you left the house, then Wednesday? Huh?"

Silence. 

"That's what I thought."

"Go pack, Enid."

~~~

Wednesday dragged her suitcase out to their car. She didn't understand what was exciting about sitting in a hot, loud car all day, just to stop somewhere and then come all the way back, 

Enid started the car and helped Wednesday get her stuff into the car. 

"Alright, I'm driving because I know where I'm going, so you can sleep and do whatever." Enid said, proudly. 

"Of course." Wednesday replied, venom laced within the syllables.

"And off we go!" Enid cried, slamming her door shut and starting the car.

Wednesday rolled her eyes at her dramatic best friend. 

Wednesday looked out the window, watching trees and stop signs pass, dragging her eyes along the road. She sighed. 

She reached behind her into the luggage in the back seat and pulled out a book. She recently had been rereading "The Outsider" by Stephan King out of pure boredom. 

She read a few pages before deciding that was to boring (It's giving me trying to do anything without my ADHD meds.) 

She closed her eyes and listened to the soft hum of the car, the muted sounds of the radio drifting away as she fell asleep. 

~~~ 

Wednesday woke up to Enid's soft "Wednesday, wake up!" 

Wednesday groggily opened her eyes and rubbed them before glaring at Enid. Enid handed her a box of chicken nuggets, which Wednesday accepted.

But didn't bother touching them.

"Wednesday, you need to eat."

Wednesday nodded. "I'm aware, and starvation is quite the sad, boring way to die."

Enid rolled her eyes before telling Wednesday how much longer. 

"My ass is starting to hurt." Wednesday grumbled.

"Don't care!" Sang Enid, turning onto another road. 

~~~

"Wednesday. We're here."

Wednesday looked over and saw a small cabin-like home.

And there on the mailbox, read the name "Thorpe."