Chapter Five

"So how has life been treating you?"

Xavier sighed at the question, running a hand through his thick hair as he stared back at the girl.

Enid Sinclair, someone he never truly expected to see again, was sitting across from him in a moldy cafe. She had definitely grown; her hair was longer, he face slightly thinner. 

She looked more mature, more grown up. She gave off a smart aura, like she knew everything but she wouldn't tell you.

"Not so good," Xavier answered honestly.

"How so?" Enid asked, brows furrowed.

"Just...so basic! I wake everyday to do the same thing I did yesterday! This is the first time I've been out in what feels like months!"

Enid slowly nodded. "You live alone?"

He nodded before taking a deep breath. "How about you, Enid? How's life been for you?"

"Not to sound braggy or anything but AMAZING!" She squealed, losing the rough outer-layer he had seen only moments before. "I'm getting married to Ajax in a few months, I work as a teacher, and Wedne-"

She cut herself off before saying her name. He hadn't told her not to, but she seemed to understand the atmosphere.  "Good for you Enid." He smiled sadly, leaning across the table to pat her shoulder.

"Thanks." She said, giving him a smile. He could see the pity laced within her eyes. "Are you...Have you gotten married or anything yet?"

He snorted and shook his head. "Haven't even dated since...you know who." 

He calmly stared out the window.

"I'm sorry."

He shook his head. "No, I'm sorry I wasted so much time on her. I could have been out, doing things, but instead I stayed with a girl who would end up breaking my heart."

"She didn't mean to." Enid whispered quietly, looking into his eyes. 

"I don't care." He sighed. "I truly am not bothered by it anymore."

"I don't believe you." 

"And I don't need you to. I just know that it's over and I never have to see her again." He said, a sharp undertone lacing venom into his voice.

"Xavier, I can sense a change with you...you've never been this naturally angry."

He grunted at her words. "Listen Enid, as much fun as this had been, I think you should go." He growled, standing up and collecting his stuff. Enid stood up. 

"Sit. The. Fuck. Down." She hissed, getting in his face and pushing him back into the seat.

"Enid-"

"Fuck you. You shit-talk Wednesday like she got up and left with no goodbye. She said goodbye, she was nice about it for Christ's sake! So you need to stop trash-talking her like she was an asshole, because I can assure you SHE IS NOT!" 

Xavier felt a little bit of salty tear slip out of his eye. "I know. I need something to take my anger out, my anger about how everything turned out, and she's an easy target."

"Whatever, just don't talk shit about her when I'm around."

He nodded in agreement. 

"Was there a reason you wanted to see me?" Xavier asked. So far this entire meet up had been unnecessary and entirely unwanted. 

"I think somethings going on with Wednesday."

~~~