Chapter Ten

!!MENTIONS OF SELF HARM AND SUICIDE!!

"Uhm, fuck no, I'm NOT going in there." Wednesday hissed, glaring at Enid. "Are you insane?!" 

Enid giggled. "Uhm, yes you are because YOU have no where to stay, and I have the keys to the car."

Wednesday's eyes held so much pent up rage, Enid would have been scared. But she wasn't. Wednesday wouldn't hurt her, and Enid knew her bestie needed this.

"Fuck you." Wednesday hissed, crossing her arms over her chest and slumping back in her chair, a pout on her face. 

"C'mon Wednesday, help me get the stuff out of the trunk." 

~~~

Xavier looked outside the window. Enid had informed him of her plans, and he had been hesitant. He truly didn't want to see her again, it would hurt to much. Just texting her seemed to have shattered a small part of his hope to be gaining back his life.  But this was for her mental health, which he knew was terrible, and he truly would do anything to help her. 

Even if it hurt him.

Because yes, he was mad at her. Mad because he blamed her partly for how he'd spent his past years of his life. It was such a boring way of living, now that he looked back at it. But he did still care for her, no matter how much his anger told him not to.

So he reluctantly accepted. I mean, he didn't have to talk to her, right? Just let her stay in his house until Enid thought she'd been out of her own house enough and she would drive her back. He would ignore her, and he was positive that she would ignore him right back. 

He gasped as he saw the car pull up. Wednesday seemed to be fighting Enid. Fuck, how was she so gorgeous?! She was just as he remembered her, her pigtails and pale skin. But she looked older. Her shirt sleeves barely made it to her wrists and even from his spot at the window, he could see the faded pink scars, and fuck that hurt. 

She looked ill too, if he was being honest. She was TOO pale. Her skin looked like it was pressed flat against her bone, and she was skinny.

Jesus Christ, she was skinny.

And she was still the most gorgeous person that he'd ever seen.

~~~

Wednesday growled as she removed herself from the car, huffing and scowling as she made her way to the trunk to get her stuff. She opened the back of the car, reaching out and grabbing her case before leaving the open trunk to Enid's use. She tramped up the lawn, there were small flurries of snow littering the ground at her feet. 

She knocked on the wooden door and heard shuffling. The door unlocked and opened. Xavier titled his head downwards to look at her, whereas her head was titled upwards so much it was comical. 

"Nes." He breathed softly. 

She ignored him and pushed past him into his house. He followed her. He made a "Follow me" motion with his fingers, and she did just that, following him down the small hallway to the end bedroom.

It was just how she imagined Xavier's guest bedroom would be like. The boyish but mature comforter and sheets. Art decorated the walls. There was a blue lamp and a green carpet. 

"I know it's not your color scheme, but you'll live." He told her before leaving her alone in the room.

She began unpacking, tossing her clothes onto the bed in piles, and then putting them in the drawers of the dresser that sat on the side of the room. She placed all of her beauty products and a small razor on the top of the dresser. She grabbed the books she packed and placed them on the bottom shelf of the nightstand. She could hear Xavier chatting with Enid. She pressed her ear up against the wall separating the rooms so she could hear better.

"I know, but please help." Enid's muffled voice came through the wall. The sound waves hit Wednesday's ear roughly, the pleading tone in her voice bringing Wednesday's curiosity through the roof. 

"Enid...I can't help. You guys can stay here, but there's nothing I can do to help her. She hasn't said a word to me, and I don't think she plans on doing so."

~~~ 

Dinner was awkward, Enid's small talk that never worked out. Xavier's fleeting eyes. Wednesday's loud silence as she pushed the pasta around with her fork. 

"Eat." Xavier told her, glaring at her, but she could tell he wasn't truly mad. 

"I. Am." She hissed, staring up at him through her bangs. 

"No, actually eat, not pushing the food around your plate." He told her. 

She glared at him before stabbing a meatball and shoving it into her face. "Happy?" She hissed at him. 

"Thrilled." He rolled his eyes. 

Enid watched the interaction with a look of amusement on her face. 

Wednesday knew better than to put up a fight, so she kept eating, keeping her unhappy glare present the entire meal. 

~~~

She sat on her bed, staring at the newly opened slit in her wrist. She had tears in her eyes as she held the bloody razor. She knew she should stop. But it felt like true relief. 

She gasped as the door cracked open. Fuck, she'd left it open slightly. 

"Nes- fuck." Xavier said, eyes going wide with shock.

A tear slipped out her eyes.

"Oh baby." He said as he rustled through a cabinet in her room, before pulling out a band-aid. She knew the nickname was part of his natural instincts to calm her down, but she felt the pang in her heart at the term. 

He walked over and crouched next to her and softly removed the razor from her grip.

Her bottom lip quivered.  

He softly kissed her forehead before he began applying the band-aid. "Hey baby. I need to take the razor with me, okay?"

She shook her head. "No, I nee-"

He shushed her, pressing a finger to her lips as he shook his head. "No baby, you need to stop hurting yourself."

She burst into tears, curling up and sniffling. He came and and wrapped his arms around her. "No, don't cry. I got you, Wednesday, I've got you."

She cried in his arms, soaking a small area of his sleeve. She finally pulled her head up and looked at him, tears running down her flawless skin. He wiped them away with the pad of his thumb. 

"Hey sweetheart, you doing alright?"

She took a few deep breaths before nodding.

"Alright, I know you don't want to talk about it, but I think we need to."

Her stomach dropped. 

"Mind telling me why you left, all those years ago?

~~~