03 | take the fall, get hurt, act indignant!

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜
chapter three: take the fall, get hurt, act indignant!

tw(s): charlie bein' kinda annoying and OML BOMBAY'S IDIOT ERA BEING THE DEATH OF ME

— ˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗ —

THE BOYS CHEER and crowd around an abandoned box of Sports Illustrated magazines.

"Stand here and keep watch, Em," Averman says, stationing her in front of the box. "Unless you want one?"

"No, I think I'm good, Ave," Emma says, crossing her arms and staring down the alleyway. She huffs a breath of air into her mittens, chafing her hands together.

"First look's free, next five minutes cost a buck each," Karp announces.

Emma bites back a smile. She finds it funny how fascinated and obsessed boys are by the female body. But she understands that their eyes are deprived of beauty. Dicks are unfathomably ugly.

"Yeah, guys. Fork it over," Peter calls to them.

"Forget it, Karp. I can see this every day on MTV," Averman says, tossing his magazine back into the box.

"Yeah, and I can see this every day in the bathroom mirror. Will you pervs hurry up?" Emma groans, pulling her blue parka tighter around her. The cold wind whips at her frosty skin, and her lips are starting to get chapped.

"Hey, guys, this one's from Minneapolis. Hey, Guy, look, it's your mom!" Peter teases. The boys chase Peter into a corner for his tactless joke. 

Suddenly, an arm whips out in front of Karp's face, snatching the magazine. it's Larson and McGill. No Adam. Emma supposes he decided to listen to her after all.

"Hi, girls. Hey, gorgeous," Larson jeers, noticing her at the end of the alleyway.

"Does your mommy know you have that?"

"Nah, she's busy with the mailman."

"That'll make great bathroom reading," McGill remarks snidely.

"It's mine, you jerk, I found it!" Karp shouts.

"You don't even know what to do with it, wuss-breath!"

"You gonna let him call you 'wuss-breath?'" Peter asks in a low tone. He's always the instigator.

"No!" Karp growls, marching up to them.

There's a lot of aimless pushing and shoving, and Emma stands rigidly. She's never been a fan of aggression outside of hockey. 

A tall boy appears, saving her from having to perform any sort of physical defense. He comes almost out of thin air behind Larson and McGill. He picks them up by the collars of their coats and tosses them in a heap, right on top of Karp. Larson and McGill cower away from the boy and run out of the alley. They thank him, but are met with silence as the mysterious boy walks away.

— ˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗ —

"One, two, three, boom!" Karp leaps on the ice and falls face-first.