11 | three words, eight letters, [say it, and i'm yours]

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜
chapter eleven: three words, eight letters, [say it, and i'm yours]

tw(s): none

— ˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗ —

BOMBAY BLOWS THE whistle and Team USA skates back and forth in lines across the ice. He blows the whistle again, and Charlie comes to a stop.

"This isn't very much fun, coach," he remarks, out of breath.

"You can say that again," Emma agrees.

"Who said it was supposed to be fun?"

"You did, when you coached the Ducks," Charlie says.

"Well, I don't see any Ducks here, Charlie. All I see is Team USA, one loss away from elimination."

Bombay calls out for twenty more sprints, and the whole team groans.

— ˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗ —

The next day, in class, everyone is half-asleep. Emma is seated in between Charlie and Averman. She has her head face down, stretching her arms onto a stack of books on Charlie's desk. Charlie has his arm over the back of her neck, because, well, where else is he supposed to put it?

Ms. McKay walks up to Emma's desk, where she is fast asleep.

"Emma."

"Sorry," she says, raising her head.

"Oh, dear. I've got to talk to your coach."

— ˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗ —

"And hold, two, three-"

"Coach isn't here, why do we have to be?"

"We have a game tonight, we have to work out."

Goldberg lifts his body from his stretching position and sighs.

"I say mutiny. Who's with me?" he asks.

"Goldberg, I'm too tired to mutiny," Dwayne says.

"Come on, guys, it's not like we couldn't use the conditioning," Emma says, resting her hands on her knees.

"Speak for yourself, babe," Dean says, nodding in her direction.

"Her name is Emma, not babe," Adam defends.

"Yeah! Have some respect," Charlie says.

"It's okay, Char," Emma says, pushing him back. "A hormone-fueled gorilla is a fight you're definitely not going to win."

"Don't tell me how to talk, rich boy!" Dean yells, shoving Adam backwards.

"Hey, Portman, chill!" Fulton shouts.

"Yo! Team USA!" a voice calls out from far away. It's the damn kid that keeps mocking their playing. "What're you going to do today, a million jumping jacks?"

"This kid's crazier than me," Dean says. "Forget about him. Look, Fulton." Dean continues to bicker, and Jesse emerges.

"Hey, man, I'm getting sick of you!"