16 | the great war

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜
chapter sixteen: the great war

some jesse content because i'm pissed that he wasn't in d3. also connie and julie are SO PRETTY. 

tw(s): fighting/arguing with an uncomfortable amount of emphasis on financial/social status

— ˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗ —

"SO HOW ARE you? How's cake-eater school treatin' you?" Jesse asks, his voice muffled from his cheek against the receiver of his landline phone.

"Oh, you know, it's good, I'm good," Emma says, crossing her legs on her bed. She tugs at the arm of her fun-sized polar bear, Junior Mint.

"How's good ol' loverboy Spazway?" Jesse inquires.

"Oh, um...good. Yeah, he's fine."

"You don't seem too sure. Somethin' happen?"

"It's just...he's acting really weird. We got this new coach, right? Coach Orion. And he's kind of tough on Charlie, but to be fair, Charlie's got some real attitude lately."

"From Spazyway to Sassway, nice!" Jesse exclaims, laughing.

"Oh, trust me. Not nice. At all. He had an incident where he lost our game by trying to prove his point to Orion that he deserved to be captain, since Orion revoked his status. Refusing to pass it, trying to win it on his own, all that."

"The coach revoked his status? That sent him over the edge, didn't it?"

"Oh, boy, yeah. And now he's being a jerk to his mom, to me, and to the team. We had a big group argument in the locker room after that game."

"Damn, and to think I missed that."

"Yeah, you should have accepted the scholarship. We miss you," Emma sighs, leaning back onto her pillow.

"Yeah, well, Terry wasn't in the Goodwill Games, so he didn't get a scholarship. I can't leave my little brother, man. Freshman year is kicking his ass already as it is."

"Yeah, I know. Tell Ter I miss him, too, okay? I gotta go to bed."

"Alright, I will. 'Night, Em."

"'Night, Jesse."

— ˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗ —

"Hey, congrats on the Blake game," Rick says, approaching the table.

The whole Varsity team trails behind Rick, except for Jude, who is still in the lunch line, making conversation with a lunch lady who looks completely done with life.

"Yeah, right. We tied," Charlie says, chewing on his sandwich.

And whose fault is that?

"Hey, a point's a point. You're all Warriors now. You guys proved your guts," Rick says.

Emma narrows her eyes in suspicion. She has to give it to them, they could have fooled most, with their whole You guys proved your guts thing. But she isn't fooled. What are you up to, Richard Riley?