09 | it's okay to be a mess

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜
chapter nine: it's okay to be a mess

tw(s): emma venting, finally. but it could be triggering for anyone who's ever felt the way she did. eg. feeling isolated and alone, not feeling like you deserve help. also, minor injury at the beginning, with descriptions of blood.

— ˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗ —

"SHIT!" EMMA SHOUTS as her head crashes against the ice. There's a small cut on the back of her scalp, and crimson starts to leak out onto the ice like a grotesque watercolor.

"Oh, my goodness, I'm so-" Dwayne starts.

"I'm fine, okay?" Emma cuts in. She immediately regrets it, because of course she does. It's Dwayne. She met him only a while ago and she knows he didn't mean any harm. "Sorry, it's not your fault. I'm just really clumsy. It's just...I really need to, um, disinfect it and stuff."

Emma skates away quickly, grabbing a small first aid kit from her duffel bag sitting on the bleachers.

She sits in front of a pocket mirror wiping blood from the side of her head when another face appears in the reflection. Her heart beats more quickly.

"Oh. Hey, Charlie."

"Hey, Emma. What was that back there?"

"What?"

"Well, for a second, you got really angry. The whole 'I'm fine, okay?' thing," Charlie comments.

"It was...a split second of anger before I regained by composure. Besides, if it were one of you guys, it would have been a whole spectacle," Emma says, peeling the backing off of a bandaid.

"Yeah, but you're not us. You don't ever get mad," Charlie says.

"Oh, wow, is that so?" Emma asks challengingly.

"Um, yeah, kind of."

"Well, I'll have you know that I actually get angry plenty. This year, I just got tired of venting to my teddy bear and screaming into my pillow," Emma informs, snapping her mirror shut.

"Oh. Okay."

"But I'm sorry. That's the last you'll see of angry Emma. I'll try my best to...keep it under wraps."

Charlie stares at her for a bit, kind of getting lost in her eyes. he wonders if this is the right time to ask her about the kiss, but his mouth stays frozen in place as he watches her leave the room.

— ˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗ —

"Ancient Greece was the beginning of western civilization," Ms. McKay teaches. "See, in Greece, they didn't have professional sports, or Wheaties boxes. So the athletes competed for another reason. Anybody?"

"Falafels?" Goldberg guesses.

"Charlie?" Ms. McKay tries.

"Pride."

"That's right. The various city-states waved their flags and wore their home colors proudly," Ms. McKay confirms.