10 | ice cream with iceland

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜
chapter ten: ice cream with iceland

tw(s): adam's wrist injury, and bombay being a jerk

— ˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗ —

"LET'S GO!" BOMBAY instructs, walking into the locker room.

"Nice jacket! Did you get two pairs of pants with that?" Averman jokes.

Emma laughs.

Last night, so promised herself she wouldn't let her dad invade her mind and her relationship with her friends. She wouldn't let this minor inconvenience in her life that took the form of joint custody send things off the rails. She wouldn't let it change her. So, just like old times, she smiles at Averman, pats his shoulder, and leaves to get to the ice.

Team USA positions themselves on the ice, facing the little blond rats. 

The whistle wails and Jesse lunges for the puck, but the Iceland player resists and uses his strength to block Jesse.

Dean comes to Jesse's defense and shoves the Iceland player to the ground.

"Come on, fool! Get up!"

"You ran at him unprovoked," the ref says, skating over to give dean a penalty. Dean, in an angry fit, pushes the ref to the ground.

"Come on son," the ref says. "You're out of the game."

"Oh, give him a break," Emma says, rolling her eyes. "It's not his fault both you and that boy could blow over in the wind."

The game continues to go terribly. Iceland is ruthless and quick, and USA is no match for them, whatever Bombay may have said in that interview.

Dwayne gets the puck and Emma's hopes soar. However, they immediately plummet when she remembers what Tibbles said about Dwaynes tendency to showboat. And, oh, is it showing at a most inopportune time.

"Robertson, for fuck's sake, pass me the puck!" Emma screams over the noise of the stadium, banging her stick against the ice in frustration.

Dwayne bumps into two Iceland players and tumbles to the ground, giving Iceland the upper hand. It's a series of almost-scores and let-downs. God, if only Dwayne had passed Emma the puck.

"Where's our concentration?" Bombay demands. "You guys are out there, runnin' around like a bunch of chickens with your heads cut off!"

"We're doin' our best," Jese says.

"Well, your best isn't good enough anymore. Blow this game and we are one loss away from elimination. You guys might want to go home early, but I sure as heck don't." Bombay walks away in a huff.

"My, that was inspiring," Averman says sarcastically.

"It's almost as if he's done this before," Emma says, recalling what a bad coach he was when they first met him.

Iceland scores a goal and they send Goldberg flying to the ground. Bombay sighs in resignation and removes Goldberg from the ice, replacing him with Julie.