19 | bend and snap!

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜
chapter nineteen: bend and snap!

tw(s): tom riley

— ˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗ —

"WOULD YOU MIND checking the messages for me while I'm at the grocery store, Em?" her mother asks, stuffing a notepad in her purse. "I'm waiting on a call from Ducksworth."

"Sure, no problem!" Emma says, sprinting down the stairs.

"Thank you, dear."

Emma sits at the couch, listening to the messages, when there's a click and the sound of an achingly familiar voice.

"Guess what? It's Portman, bitches!" the crackly voice announces. "Anyway, Emma, I thought I'd pop in and say hi and tell you to stock up on that chocolate cake because I'm- okay, Mom, I'm getting off now, relax!"

Wait, was Portman coming to town? Is that what he was going to say?

Emma stays frozen in place for a second before clearing her head and moving on to the next message.

"Emmaline? Word around the street is that you and Charlie Conway are back together! Call me immediately," Julie's voice says.

The phone rings twice before Julie picks up.

"Emmy!"

"Julie! So, yeah, I took him back."

"Oh, ew. Is there a good reason?"

"Yes, Julie! There is a good reason. He said he was sorry, and he did a really nice gesture. I think he'll be better this time around."

"Alright. Good thing you called me. I'm currently in front of his apartment with a murder weapon and a solid plan. But I guess I'll ditch."

"Julie! Wait...really?"

"No! You really thought? Anyways, I have to go if I want to catch the game bus. You should, too."

— ˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗ —

"Hart. Fulton." Charlie steps onto the bus, and Orion does a double-take.

"Conway?"

"I want to be on the team, Coach," Charlie says earnestly. "I want to play two-way hockey. Can I come back?"

"Take a seat, we're running late," Orion says. His eyes are almost smiling. "Let's go! We've got a game to catch."

Charlie catches Emma's eye as she slips into the open seat next to Julie, and she smiles at him and nods.

Julie pokes Emma in the shoulder when she spots Dean Buckley exchanging hushed words with Orion.

"Coach, you mind if I have a few words with your boys?"

"And girls," Julie points out.

"Yes, of course. And girls," Dean Buckley says.

"If you can make it quick, Dean. We're running late as it is," Coach Orion says firmly.

"I'm afraid that this is important. We have a board meeting scheduled tomorrow, and...well, you all are on the agenda. We have to think long-term here. What's in your best interest. Hard as it is for me personally, because you kids have been a breath of fresh air around here, the board is going to approve the withdrawal of your scholarships."