07 | sweet tea in the summer

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜
chapter seven: sweet tea in the summer

tw(s): emma's dad

— ˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗ —

IT'S BEEN A while since Emma Hart has played hockey. Or seen the Ducks. Or done much of anything.

Her dad and his wife, Augustine, got married in the summer. It was enough dealing with her mom, who sometimes came home smelling of cheap liquor since the engagement. But now, life truly is shit.

Soon after the marriage, Emma's dad filed for joint-custody, earning him time with Emma on the weekends. She hasn't truly laughed or smiled in months.

Now, it's Saturday, and Emma is wheeling a white suitcase of clothes and books across the sprawling driveway of Augustine and her dad's new house.

Emma would never tell her mom this, but Augustine is kind of nice. Emma used to harbor a lot of resentment towards her, and secretly assumed she was a terrible person because she broke up a marriage. 

But apparently, Augustine was never aware of the fact that her father was married. This makes Emma respect her more, and respect her father less. She's learning to forgive certain people, and cut off others. Her father is a prime example of the latter. He is still a hateful person who bad-mouths her mother, and he is still the same person who cheated and lied when he was married to someone who loved him to the moon and to Saturn.

Betty trails behind her with a small Alvin and the Chipmunks themed suitcase, gripping Emma's hand tightly.

The door swings open to reveal her father.

Emma's breath hitches. Betty glares. Upon seeing her sister's face, Emma's heart swells with anger for her. She hates that her father turned Betty, a little girl, into someone who doesn't trust easily, and that he stole her innocence from her.

"Hey, kiddo! It's good to see you," her dad says. 

Emma sniffs. No alcohol. That's a good start.

She clenches her jaw. "Well, I can't say the same for us." 

She surprises herself a little bit. She usually gives a strained smile and nods. Not friendly, but not rude. But things have changed, and she's hardened. She's no longer the tentative dreamer who's nice to everyone and loves love and all that bullshit. She's learned that you only give people what they deserve.

Her father's smile drops.

"Kid, I know i made a lot of mistakes, but this arrangement is so I can make it right. I promise I'm doing better."

"Well, our mother isn't, thanks for asking. The real person you need to make it right with is her, and taking her kids away from her is not the way to do that," Emma responds. "Now, you wouldn't want the flies to come in, would you? They're kind of attracted to dog shit."

Years ago, he would have scolded Emma and told her that those words aren't for her. But now Emma has grown, and it's not his place to reprimand her if he's never done any of the other things that come with being a parent. He knows that.

He lets Emma and Betty inside, where they are greeted by Augustine with a platter of Oreos, which they graciously accept.

"Hi, girls. Your dad is going to show you to your room," Augustine says with a timid smile.