04 | the losers club

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜
chapter four: the losers club

if you understand the reference above, i love you so much

tw(s): none, i don't think

— ˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗ —

BOMBAY WORKED HIS magic and recruited Fulton Reed for the team. Emma considered him to be a lot more intimidating before she saw him plummet down a flight of stairs in the mall like Alan Rickman in Die Hard

Goldberg and Emma shoot through the building side by side. He steals a churro from a man sitting in the food court, breaks it half, and tosses the other piece to Emma. She offers some to Charlie, who snatches it from her hand and stuffs the whole thing in his mouth. He smiles at her cheekily with a chipmunk-like face before turning around and joining Jesse.

— ˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗ —

Bombay proudly lays out a bright green jersey with a cheesy cartoon duck printed on it.

"The Ducks? We're the Ducks?" Jesse asks.

"Man, what brain-dead jerk came up with that name?" Peter giggles.

"As a matter of fact, I did," Bombay replies, looking a bit offended. 

"Jeez, Pete, nice going," Emma mutters, nudging his side.

"But I didn't have a choice," Bombay continues. "We're being sponsored." 

Emma guesses it makes sense, since Mr. Ducksworth is their sponsor. Oh, what she would give for him to be named Mr. Tigersworth or something.

"Sponsored by who? Donald and Daisy?" Averman grins.

"Hey! Don't you wanna be Ducks?" Nope. Not really. "You'd rather be district five? Some stupid number?"

"Better than some stupid animal," Peter shoots back. Bombay walks from his place in the room to where Peter and Emma are sitting.

"I'll have you know, Peter, that the duck is one of the most noble, agile, and intelligent creatures in the animal kingdom." Right. So, not us.

"But they're wimpy," Connie says.

"They don't even have teeth," Guy adds.

"Neither do hockey players," Bombay says. They all laugh. He has a point. "Have you guys ever seen a flock of ducks flying in perfect formation? It's beautiful. Pretty awesome when they all stick together. Ducks never say die. Ever seen a duck fight? No way. Why? Because the other animals are afraid. They know that if they mess with one duck, they gotta deal with the whole flock."

Well, same goes for bees, and millions of them die every day because of their "defense-mechanism." But Emma stays silent. Bombay takes off his coat, revealing the same jersey.

"I'm proud to be a Duck. And I'd be proud to fly why any one of you. How 'bout it? Who's a Duck?"

"I'll be a Duck," Fulton announces.

"Yeah, me too," Charlie says. They follow Fulton and Charlie to the jerseys and pick theirs out. Emma finds the one with her name on it. And she figures Bombay's a much better listener than she anticipated. Because her jersey is printed with a single name.