05 | the little girl and the sea

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜
chapter five: the little girl and the sea

tw(s): charlie being a MASSIVE jerk

— ˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗ —

EMMA IS PUTTING on her jersey in the locker rooms, when the door swings open and none other than Adam Banks comes shuffling in with his gear. All eyes are on him and the team stands up threateningly. Bombay enters the room behind him. It's a really awkward thing to do, especially when there's a whole room of people looking at him like they want his blood, but Emma doesn't want him to feel bad, so she runs over to hug him.

"Don't worry, Banksie. You've got someone on your side," Emma says.

"You mean it?"

"Of course."

Emma goes back to my teammates who grumble words of dissent, and Charlie gives her a look and steps in front of her.

"Hey," Bombay greets. "Wasn't sure if you'd show up."

"Yeah, whatever. I just wanna play hockey."

"Good. Ducks, you all know Adam Banks."

Charlie clenches his jaw and gives a little nod.

"Uh, on behalf of the Ducks, I'd like to say welcome-" Emma starts, stepping forward. Jesse gets up from his spot on the bench in front of her, stopping her.

"Cake-eater."

"Ooh, the Jess-man, dissin' the new guy! The Jess-ster!" Averman chimes in. 

Emma smiles at him and slings an arm around his shoulders. She holds in a laugh because she doesn't want Adam to think she's making fun of him. She understands the team's hatred towards him somewhat, since he always kind of picked on them, but Adam's really not a bad guy. More like a follower who just wants acceptance from his teammates.

"Shut up, Averman!" Jesse yells.

"It's just a joke," Averman frowns.

"Putting on a Ducks jersey doesn't mean you're a real Duck."

"Actually, Einstein, that's exactly what it means," Emma defends. Jesse gives her a look like she killed his cat or something. "Sorry," she adds.

Jesse storms out, but it's kind of funny because he's still wearing his skates. Emma's teammates nod in solidarity of Jesse and follow him out.

"Um, they're a good group once you get to know them," Emma tells Adam.

"I bet."

"Well, suit up. I'll see you on the ice," Bombay orders.

As Emma leaves, she hears hushed voices from the sidelines where Bombay usually stands and gives directions.

"You were really starin' the kid down, Charlie! Man!" a voice says. It's a bit low, and has a smile in it. It's Jesse.

"Yeah, well, it's not like you were throwin' him a welcome party, either," another voice murmurs. It's definitely Charlie. Emma would know his voice anywhere.