14 | hit that girl with a door, smack!

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜
chapter fourteen: hit that girl with a door, smack!

tw(s): brief description of an injury, see chapter title for some context lol.

— ˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗ —

"I CAN'T BELIEVE he revoked my captain status!" Charlie yells, kicking at a pebble in Emma's front yard.

"Hey, easy on the yard. My mom's landscapers work very hard," Emma chastises, putting a hand up to stop him.

He's walking her home like he does every day, except this time, he's throwing a complete hissy fit.

Emma had a long conversation with Coach Orion and convinced him to let her stay on J.V. It wasn't a hard decision; Emma isn't planning on doing hockey long-term, so she doesn't need the opportunity the way Adam does. Plus, she has a feeling Charlie's vulnerable right now.

"And how'd Orion consider you for Varsity anyway?"

"Hey," Emma snaps. "Watch the attitude, Charles. I stayed for you."

All the blood drains from Charlie's face at the mention of his full name.

"Sorry, Emmy. It's just...I hate that guy. Who does he think he is? He's basically destroying the Ducks," Charlie mutters.

"Don't worry, Charlie. We can handle this. Really."

Before Emma goes inside, Charlie kisses her swiftly and waves. His smile looks more like a grimace, though. Or maybe that's just her.

— ˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗ —

The next day, Emma makes the mistake of waiting behind Goldberg in line for lunch. All he can talk about is Julie this, Julie that, I'm better at this, I'm better at that.

"So what if she has a quicker glove? Who's got the better stick?"

"You do, Goldberg," Averman says.

"Well, actually, probably Julie," Emma mumbles.

"And who's got the game experience, me or the Catlady?"

"Yeah, and you sucked at hockey for a majority of your experience. We all did," Emma tells him. "And if she doesn't have any experience, it makes it even more embarrassing for you that she was chosen, doesn't it?"

"Well, she's just quicker, uh, faster. That counts on this level," Averman consoles.

"So what are you trying to say? If I lost a few pounds, maybe I'd be number one again?"

"Goldberg, take a hint," Emma says. "You're Goldilocks partly because of your name, sure, but also because the bears eat you up on that rink! There's no helping it."

"Hey, don't compare me to a little blonde girl!" Goldberg protests.

Emma snorts. "You did that on your own when you compared yourself to Julie."

"It might be easier to have her gain a few pounds," Averman suggests, ignoring Emma.

Emma's heart drops to the pit of her stomach when she sees the glint in Goldberg eye.