12 | knucklepuck time

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜
chapter twelve: knucklepuck time

tw(s): emma's dad, although he isn't actually that bad in this one...

— ˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗ —

EMMA'S EYES DART around the ice, weaving around the hulking bodies of Team Russia. She gulps. She sends the puck over to russ, who recently joined the team in place of Adam. She gives him a hinting smile and he responds with an enthusiastic nod.

"It's Knucklepuck time."

Emma can almost hear the puck slicing through the cold air as it rushes into the net.

The roar of the stadium.

The claps of approval.

— ˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗ —

"I told him no visitors," Bombay says. "But he wanted to congratulate you anyway."

"Holy sh- crap! Char, it's the Wayne Gretzky!" Emma whisper-shouts from behind Charlie, shaking his shoulders.

He looks behind her to see her with wide eyes and a radiant smile, and he wonders how it was ever possible for him to hate her. 

"Yeah, I see," Charlie chuckles. "His teeth are surprisingly intact."

"Right? He's invincible."

— ˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗ —

"Coach," Adam says, walking in, determined.

Emma, mid-stretch, wolf-whistles at the sight of her friend's return.

"Hey, Banks, you've got a spring in your step," Emma comments.

"I woke up, and the pain was gone," Adam announces proudly.

"Adam, I'm sorry, but we already have a full roster," Bombay apologizes.

"Wow, way to be a party pooper, coach," Emma mutters.

Adam's face falls.

Emma takes a deep breath. She knows how much pressure his father puts on him, how badly he wants to impress him. Emma isn't desperate for that kind of thing. She starts to pull off her jersey before Charlie grabs the hem of the fabric to stop her.

"Oh, uh, sorry," Charlie says, dropping his hand and looking down as his face flushes with color. "It's just- he can have my spot. It's what i can do for the team. Let me do it."

"Charlie, I need you on the bench, coaching right there with me," Bombay instructs.

— ˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗ —

The game is tense, and is completely shifted in Iceland's favor.

Emma grinds her teeth against each other and sucks in a breath through her nose when Goldberg blocks an incoming shot. So close.

Bombay orders a line change and sends Russ out onto the ice.

"Watch out, boy, it's Knucklepuck time!" he exclaims, preparing to shoot.