06 | flipped

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜
chapter six: flipped

tw(s): adam getting yeeted into the goalpost

— ˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗ —

QUITE A BIT of time passes and Emma doesn't talk to Charlie at all. and she's knows she's been taking part in the silence, but she decided to be vulnerable that night, and she laid herself bare, and he gave her nothing.

But it's okay. After some practice at it, it stops hurting so much.

But she shouldn't dwell upon something that doesn't matter to her anymore. She and Connie are in the locker room before their big game against the Hawks. Connie's sitting on the bench in front of Emma.

"Do one of your famous Dutch braids for me, will you?" Connie asks, passing her a hair tie.

Emma sets to work parting her hair.

"So, Em, what's goin' on with you and Charlie?"

Emma snorts. "Nothing."

"Right. Nothing?"

"No. Not anymore. I mean, not that it ever was," Emma stammers.

"Oh? Gossip, please," Connie requests.

"Well...I kind of blew up at him the other night. His mom was having me over and I tried to talk to him about why the hell he hates me so much, and get this! He said nothing. It's like he was at a loss for words or something, the dumb prick," Emma mutters, looping the elastic around the end of Connie's braid.

"You don't mean that," Connie says.

"What?"

"'Dumb prick.' You actually thought the exact opposite about him for ages. So what changed?"

"I don't know. But I think I should start standing up for myself, right? So many things would be different now if I'd learned how to do it sooner," Emma whispers.

"Don't do that to yourself, Em. You can stand up to assholes but the chance that they actually change is slim to none. But Charlie? He's not an asshole," Connie rubs Emma's shoulder before leaving her to roll the thought around in her head.

Adam runs up to Charlie, tapping him on the shoulder.

"Yeah?"

"Okay. Quick question," Adam says.

"Okay, shoot."

"What's goin' on with you and Emma?" he asks.

"Um, nothing. Why?"

"Sure," Adam says, not convinced. "It's just...she's more fragile than you might think. There's a lot of emotional baggage under that smile. Please be good to her."

The game begins, and Adam gets out onto the ice. Emma gives him a supportive smile, which he returns before getting stopped by Jesse.

"Hey, Banks! Don't forget what side you're on."

"Okay, okay, Jesse, cool it," Emma says, flipping his helmet over his face.