13 | captain ducky

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜
chapter thirteen: captain ducky

tw(s): i just hate rick. that's it. read with caution.

— ˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗ —

EMMA HART IS curled up on a park bench, thinking to herself, and reading a book. Autumn reds, oranges, yellows, and browns surround her in perfect harmony. She is at peace. Cute children in colorful tee-shirts with countless patterns trail behind their mothers and fathers. A smattering of gingham picnic blankets dot the grassy area of the playground in the distance, silicone containers of chicken sandwiches and canteens of fruit juice.

"Hey, guess who," a voice says from behind Emma.

"Quit it, Char."

"How do you always know it's me?" he asks, kissing the top of her head.

"You're the only one who does stuff like this to me," she says, patting the spot on the bench next to her.

"What are you reading?"

"Wuthering Heights."

"You've gotta let me read it," Charlie says, resting his chin and hands on her shoulder.

"Yes, but not my copy," Emma says sternly. "I trust you, but not with my books. You're bound to dog-ear them or get a stain on them."

"Emma, the book nitpicker," Charlie says fondly, shaking his head and taking a seat on the bench.

"I'm not a nitpicker, I just have a normal human desire to keep my prized possessions in good condition," Emma says, poking his cheek. "You wouldn't know, I've seen the state of your room."

"And how would you know? I've seen the state of your closet," Charlie shoots back.

"What are you doing rummaging through my closet? Is that where my pink dress went?" Emma asks teasingly.

"Oh, please," Charlie says. "As if anything your style is of interest to me. I've got real class."

"Oh, yes. Even Jackie O's closet's got nothing on your Spider-Man pajamas."

"That's right," Charlie confirms, kissing her on the lips.

"Charlie," she murmurs. "Cool it. We're in public."

"And?"

"Haha, Charlie, very funny," she says, pulling away.

"Well, on a nicer topic, Bombay's bailing." Charlie spits out his name like it's distasteful. His mood takes a full three-sixty.

"Yeah. He served me his speech earlier this morning," Emma sighs, sticking her bookmark in place.

"I just can't believe he'd do this, y'know? It's like, he abandons the team for his pride or some opportunity, and then he comes back and says sorry and does it again," Charlie complains.

"I understand your frustration, Charlie," Emma says quietly, turning around and fixing his tie. "But forget about him for a minute and think of what awaits us at our new school. we'll have fun. I promise."