Chapter 1

"What do you mean she's going to host the Pride Month celebration?" Freen asked the professor, her eyebrows knitted in confusion.

"Miss Chankimha, you know you can't because of your... you know? Perspective," the professor explained, making me smirk in response.

"But that can't be!" Freen exclaimed, clearly upset by the news.

"Don't stress yourself out over this, Freen. Leave it to me," I said, patting her shoulder playfully and teasing her.

I knew she wanted to outdo me, but today, her homophobia stands in the way. The school can't allow a student with such a perspective to host a Pride Month celebration. Poor Freen.

"Fine, but promise me that before the Pride Month ends, I won't be like this anymore. Would you let me host the celebration then?" she pleaded.

The professor was taken aback by her sudden change in attitude. Was she finally willing to change? I wanted to laugh but kept my cheeky expression.

"Deal," the professor agreed, shaking Freen's hand, and Freen glanced at me with determination.

"Bring it on," I whispered with a playful chuckle.

Confused about how all of this started? Let's go back four years ago.

***

Finally, I had arrived at the university for the college admission. I had never been here before, but my brother told me it would be the best university for me, as he had studied here too.

"Excuse me, are you lost? The admission office is not this way. Take a right and walk straight. You'll see a sign that says 'Maple St.' Go left and then right," a friendly girl offered her guidance.

"Oh, okay," I replied, even though I had no idea what she just said.

Right, straight, Maple Street? Then go left and right? What on earth? Where is the admission office?

"Stop following me. I know where to go," a student snapped at a guy in black, who seemed to be her bodyguard, trailing behind her.

"But Miss, Mr. Chankimha will be furious if you get lost," the guy said, lowering his head.

"I graduated high school here, don't you think I still know my way around? Besides, I'm the top student in the university. Do you take me for a fool?" she retorted.

So, she must be the top student everyone talks about.

I had heard about her even back in high school. We attended different schools; I was studying at Seraphim School while she was at Empyrean Hall. Our schools were rivals in every competition, and EHU always came out as the champions. Some said that the judges were bribed, but I didn't think so.

"Excuse me, miss. Are you also going to the admission office?" she asked, looking at me.

At first, I could only stare at her. She looked stunning, and it left me breathless.

"Miss?" She snapped her fingers in front of me, pulling me back to reality.

"Yes, I do," I answered, a bit flustered.

The guy chuckled at my reaction, and I shot him a glare.

"Then let's go together," the girl said, reaching for my hand, sending shivers down my spine.

Her hand was so soft, and the way she held mine, I felt strangely comfortable. There was something different about her aura. I felt at ease in her presence.

When we arrived at the office, she immediately let go of my hand, probably because students were staring at us. She walked ahead, leaving me standing in line.

"Hi," the girl in front of me greeted. "My name's Irin. You're here for the admission?" she asked.

Isn't it obvious that I'm in line for admission? I wanted to say that, but I didn't want to make enemies on my first day.

"Yes," I replied with a sweet smile.

"Do you know that girl who came with you?" Irin asked.

I nodded slowly. I had heard about her but didn't actually know her. She seemed too perfect from what other people described.

"That girl is Freen Chankimha, the only child of Mr. Chankimha, the chairman of Chankimha Tech Innovation. She's a perfect 10, but she's a swiftie, so she's a 13," Irin said with a wink. "Just kidding."

I only nodded, not fully grasping her joke.

So, her name is Freen. Nice name. I hope she's also kind.

As we waited in line, a non-teaching staff member came out of a room, crying.

"Uh-oh. Someone got fired again," Irin chuckled, shaking her head.

"Fired during work hours?" I asked, furrowing my brows.

"Maybe she did something to Freen. She's a 10, but she doesn't have manners," Irin said, shaking her head in disbelief.

Too bad. That's the problem with some rich and intelligent people. They lack manners.

"By the way, where are you from?" Irin asked me. "I never saw you in EHU's high department. Where did you graduate?"

"SSER. Seraphim School of Excellence and Research," I replied.

Irin's eyes widened, and she covered her mouth.

"You mean you're Rebecca Patricia Armstrong from Seraphim School? The one who defeated Freen in last year's IQ competition?" she asked in amazement. "Do you know that no one from SSER can enroll here except you? Oh my god. It's a pleasure to finally meet the genius," she said, shaking my hand.

I furrowed my eyebrows. What did she mean that only I could enroll here from SSER?

It's... weird.

After our walk-in admission, Irin and I decided to grab a bite at the cafe since we were feeling hungry.

As we sat down, we couldn't help but overhear lots of students gossiping about what happened at the admission office. Some were calling Freen a brat, while others were defending her, saying she was cool.

"I can't believe they're calling her cool for acting like that," Irin said, rolling her eyes. "She's probably just never been told that her behavior is wrong. Her dad seems unable to control her."

I shrugged, "Well, it's not really our concern. We're in different departments, so chances of running into her are pretty low." I focused on my food, trying not to let the drama bother me.

Irin let out a sigh, "You never know with someone like her. Her name seems to be all over the place."

To be honest, the first time I saw Freen earlier, I was starstruck. I imagined her proposing to me, and that's why I said "I do" out of the blue.

Just then, Freen walked into the cafeteria and took a seat. The waiter rushed to her side to take her order.

Even though she was acting like a brat, I couldn't deny that she was still cute. I wondered if this was what they meant by being "color blind" – seeing someone's flaws but still finding them attractive.

My heart raced, and a smile spread across my face.

But whatever happens, one thing was clear in my mind – someday, I'll make her mine.

One day, I'll marry you, Freen Sarocha Chankimha.

a/n: I don't know if I can update everyday, but I'll try. Lovelots!