Chapter 28

Days had drifted by since Nat's confession, and there was a noticeable distance between us. It seemed like he had purposely distanced himself, which was honestly a relief. I didn't want to lead him on or give him false hope, because I knew deep down that I could never have romantic feelings for him.

"I can't believe Wichai Saefan actually pulled something unexpected out of his hat," Irin exclaimed, shaking her head in disbelief.

"What's the story?" I inquired.

Sitting in our room, we awaited our professor's arrival. Irin burst in, clearly agitated, and even mentioned that guy's full name. Forgive me for being blunt, but his presence just irked me. Luckily, I hadn't seen him around lately.

"He's somehow managed to snag the top rank for the first semester in the business studies department," Irin explained, frustration evident in her voice. "And get this, he hasn't even been showing up to classes lately. I don't know if he's got some secret charm or if he's bribing the professors."

"He hasn't been coming to school?" I sought clarification.

"Yeah, rumor has it he jetted off to another country with his parents and only recently returned. Can you believe that?" she asked. "Don't tell me you're actually interested in him now?"

"Definitely not," I assured her.

Just then, my phone chimed with a call from Freen, but before I could answer, our professor walked in, interrupting the moment.

***

"You feeling alright?" Freen's voice crackled through the phone.

"Yeah, just a little tired," I responded, even though I hadn't exactly been busy all day.

Truthfully, I wasn't ready to face her at the moment. I just needed to hear her voice.

"Should I come over?" she offered.

"To my room?" I asked in return.

"Yeah, I'm actually in my room right now. I wanted to surprise you earlier, but it seemed like you were caught up. You didn't pick up my call," she noted, her voice slightly hoarse. "I really want to see you, Becca."

"Or should I head to your room instead?" I suggested.

"That would be awesome," she chuckled.

Even though I wasn't entirely in the mood to see her, I couldn't bear the thought of her missing me. If she wanted to be with me, no matter how far, I'd make the effort to be there.

Upon reaching Freen's room, I was greeted by the sight of her folding clothes in a somewhat disheveled state. She pushed the clothes aside to make room for me on her bed.

"I thought you'd be late," she commented, setting down the food on the center table.

As she moved around, I spotted a familiar jacket among the mess of clothes. Furrowing my brows, I pulled the jacket out from the pile and examined it closely.

"Do you recognize that jacket?" Freen asked, placing the food before us. "Seng gave it to me earlier, said he thought it was cute."

"Leather jackets, huh?" I quizzed, my curiosity piqued.

"Yeah, why?" Freen responded, gesturing for me to dig in, but I declined.

"So, did you and Seng come back together?" I inquired further.

"Yep, we traveled to Singapore together," Freen replied with a grin. "I didn't bother telling you. Figured you'd prefer not hearing about 'Mushroom'?"

"You're right, I wasn't too keen on that. But seriously, you didn't think to mention it, even if you were with your family?" I asked, a hint of disbelief in my tone.

"I kind of assumed you had zero interest, given the way you've nicknamed him 'Mushroom'," Freen retorted, sighing. "And don't worry, I'm not about to replace you with him, Becky. You'll always be my favorite sis, got it?" She playfully pinched my cheeks before chuckling.

Freen proceeded to recount the adventures they'd had in Singapore, showing me pictures where she posed as though she were interacting with an imaginary figure. Apparently, that was my designated spot.

It was clear - our bond had transformed from enemies to friends and now to sisters. Just perfect. I had entertained the hope of something more, but Freen had firmly established our relationship as sisterly.

"Aren't you planning to crash here tonight?" Freen inquired as she noticed me preparing to leave.

"Nah, I've got some reviewing to do for an exam tomorrow," I fibbed. No exams, no classes, but I was gearing up for a day at the library.

"You're always buried in your books. Aren't you tired of studying?" Freen mused. "I mean, you've been at it since you were ten, right?"

"Since I was ten? It's not like you knew me back then," I scoffed.

"I knew you, Rebecca Patricia Armstrong. I've told you that countless times," she reminded me with a sigh.

My brow furrowed. "So, what exactly do you know about me?"

"Why can't you remember?" Freen asked again, patting the spot next to her as an invitation to sit. "I thought you were just teasing me."

"I'm not playing games, Freen. Tell me, what do you remember?" I urged.

"Fine," she acquiesced, motioning for me to take a seat beside her. "It was during a summer a while back. I used to see you reading in the public library. You were a tough nut to crack - no one dared approach you because of how brilliant you were. I always positioned myself nearby, but you never seemed to notice."

"And then what happened?"

"I mustered the courage to ask if you'd be my friend. I annoyed you endlessly, and eventually, you gave in and let me into your world," Freen explained, her lips pursed. "But as summer came to a close, a family situation forced us to move away. I never got the chance to bid you farewell. When I returned, you were already gone. I waited, but you never came back. After that, I couldn't find a friend quite like you."

"Why did you pretend not to know me the first time we met?" I probed.

"Because I'd forgotten about you. It had been so many years that your image had slipped my mind, though your name stuck. But when you introduced yourself, it caught me off guard. See, the real Becky Armstrong wouldn't just casually kiss a girl like you did," Freen chuckled. "Physical contact wasn't your thing. You recoiled when people touched you, couldn't stand conversations. It was like you had an allergy. But then Richie appeared, and that's when I realized you were truly my childhood friend. I tried the same tactics to reconnect, and fortunately, they worked again."

"Ah," I murmured.

"What's going on, Becky? Why did you forget about me?" she asked, concern lacing her voice.

I hadn't realized she was a part of my past. Perhaps, my comfort around her wasn't solely due to romantic feelings.

"Something happened. I can't recall the details," I replied, offering a smile.

Standing up, I sighed, waved my goodbyes, and exited her dorm room.

From that moment on, Freen saw me purely as a friend. She never looked at me the way I looked at her. Maybe it was a sign - a sign that loving her was just inherently wrong.